Noob here - can I run my plan by you?

HeyKZ

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
Can someone tell me if my plan sounds good or if I am failing to consider something that experienced chicken owners know...?

I live in a city neighborhood and want to do as much as I can to minimize noise to bother my neighbors. I am planning to get 4 chickens - 2 Austalorps and 2 Buff Orpingtons, as I have heard these are quieter hens and good for beginners. I plan to build a coop that is 5'x5' with an attached run. The total square feet will be 40, as the hens will be able to have space under the coop as well as an additional 5 feet. I also plan to buy the Omlet automatic door so I don't have to wake up super early and let the chickens out. If I let the chickens out with the automatic door every morning into the attached run will that help minimize loud noise in the morning for them being excited to get out of the coop? I would like to be able to free range the chickens sometimes, but I don't think I can do it everyday. I know they are creatures of routine, so is free ranging okay sometimes but not all the time?

Welcome to BYC.

Good job thinking about this stuff in advance and congratulations on thinking to give your chickens plenty of space. The only issue I see with your plans is that 5x5 is an awkward build because lumber comes in multiples of 4 feet so you'd have a lot of waste. Can you go to 6x6 so that you could buy 12-foot boards and cut them in half? or 4x8 to maximize the use of 8-foot boards?

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters and we can give better advice if we know what kind of weather you're likely to experience. :)

Sounds good except that chickens do talk. Silent, no. Cute, definitely yes. If you build a truly safe run, the birds can let themselves in an out as they please. Also, they will hate snow, so having a roofed run is really nice.
They are certainly less annoying than any barking dog!
Both breeds are good, and if you want green eggs, look at having an Easter Egger. It is nice to have variety out there. And Speckled Sussex are very social, usually, and beautiful.
Mary

I plan to build a coop that is 5'x5' with an attached run.
I agree that is an awkward size to build. Many building materials come in standard dimensions of 4' and 8', like a sheet of plywood. The least expensive lumber is usually in 8' lengths. If you are buying the material you can save a lot of cutting and waste by planning around those dimensions. In a small coop like that a 6' dimension isn't that bad, the cut-offs can often be used for nests or other things. A 4 x 6 would not be bad for 4 hens, should be easier to build than a 5x5 and should not cost any more. If you already have the materials plan the size on the dimensions of the materials you have. Lumber is really expensive right now.

If I let the chickens out with the automatic door every morning into the attached run will that help minimize loud noise in the morning for them being excited to get out of the coop?
Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics. That's something you will have to learn by trial and error.

is free ranging okay sometimes but not all the time?
They should enjoy that. Many people on here do that. They will probably want out but it will not hurt them for you to deny their wants. In animal husbandry somebody has to be the adult. They don't always know what is best for them. It sounds like yours will have a very good life, as good or better than many other backyard flocks.

I am in Seattle in a dense neighborhood.

So a mild, wet climate?

You'll want to make sure that all your ventilation is well-protected from rain, but snowfall is rare, right? That's a good situation for soffit and ridge venting.

Generous roof overhangs are always good, but particularly important in a wet climate. :)

<Chuckles>
Pullets and hens certainly can raise a ruckus.
Depends on the individual bird(s).
Had group of newly laying pullets once that were so loud I had to close the windows on my house so I could work over the phone.
Have had a couple screamer hens too that would grouse loudly for hours.
Still not as noisy as the boy(s).

I agree that is an awkward size to build. Many building materials come in standard dimensions of 4' and 8', like a sheet of plywood. The least expensive lumber is usually in 8' lengths. If you are buying the material you can save a lot of cutting and waste by planning around those dimensions. In a small coop like that a 6' dimension isn't that bad, the cut-offs can often be used for nests or other things. A 4 x 6 would not be bad for 4 hens, should be easier to build than a 5x5 and should not cost any more. If you already have the materials plan the size on the dimensions of the materials you have. Lumber is really expensive right now.

Each chicken has its own personality and each flock has its own dynamics. That's something you will have to learn by trial and error.

They should enjoy that. Many people on here do that. They will probably want out but it will not hurt them for you to deny their wants. In animal husbandry somebody has to be the adult. They don't always know what is best for them. It sounds like yours will have a very good life, as good or better than many other backyard flocks.
Thank you for your insight! Really appreciate it. I will definitely reconsider the coop dimensions. I think 4x6 sounds good based on your input.

They definitely do but are not raucous and unless your neighbors are right up against your coop and have paper thin walls, they shouldn't be obnoxious.

I have 20 roosters in my backyard and when I'm in my house, I can't hear them and only faintly if all my windows are open. One neighbor closest to my coops didn't know I had chickens till I told her I had chickens.

Can someone tell me if my plan sounds good or if I am failing to consider something that experienced chicken owners know...?

I live in a city neighborhood and want to do as much as I can to minimize noise to bother my neighbors. I am planning to get 4 chickens - 2 Austalorps and 2 Buff Orpingtons, as I have heard these are quieter hens and good for beginners. I plan to build a coop that is 5'x5' with an attached run. The total square feet will be 40, as the hens will be able to have space under the coop as well as an additional 5 feet. I also plan to buy the Omlet automatic door so I don't have to wake up super early and let the chickens out. If I let the chickens out with the automatic door every morning into the attached run will that help minimize loud noise in the morning for them being excited to get out of the coop? I would like to be able to free range the chickens sometimes, but I don't think I can do it everyday. I know they are creatures of routine, so is free ranging okay sometimes but not all the time?
I have a BO and she is great, very friendly, and easy breezy. I let my ladies out after work around 4:15 for a few house. NOW... if I have other things to do or the weather is trash and I don't let them out she makes the loudest ruckus and makes sure everyone knows that she doesn't agree🤣

Back
Top Bottom