Normal chicken behavior?

Aquajunky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
I have a oegb rooster. He is super friendly. So friendly I often take him places with me. Problem is he loves everyone but one of my daughters friends. She is kinda obnoxious and I often find myself correcting her behavior towards some of my other pets. Today the kid decided she wanted to hold him and ran up and grabbed him unexpectedly out of my arms, he turned and bit her face. He doesn't ever act aggressive towards anyone else, but will chase the kid all over the yard. It's only one person so that's why I was curious if its normal? Are they that good at remembering people they meet?

I even take him to work with me at a pet shop and he has never been aggressive towards anybody that's came to the store. It's seriously only 1 person he ever gets mean with. It's every time he sees her to. This is just the worst he has got her.

I bet they do. People say chickens aren't smart but I disagree. Chickens are very social creatures and great communicators. I bet he see's how you respond to her so he doesn't trust her. I bet she won't mess with him anymore!!
I even had a Bearded Dragon lizard that loved me but hated my sister! And she never did anything wrong to him, plus she's a sweet girl! But every time she walked into the room he'd flare up and charge after her. I bet our animals think they are protecting us :)

My chickens will hear me open the back door and wait for me to get there. If I'm in with them and they hear the door they bolt. They know my son is coming. They very much dislike him

If the child moves rapidly and does not exhibit self control then any small animal, even dogs, would be constantly frightened of being stepped on or hurt by them. Remember that we are like giant (two-eyed) cyclops to them. If they aren't defensive then they could be killed, so the chicken seems to act correctly to me, just like dogs who don't normally bite, but nip at a kid that pulls their tale.

Flock animals have an amazing ability to remember dozens of faces, which is how they maintain "pecking order". I'm sure they can apply that to human faces. But in this case it sounds like it is the girl who must learn to respect the animals before they will respect her. (I highly doubt the chicken would hold a grudge if she ceased the sudden movements, and took time to learn how to act calmly and with respect).

Last edited:
Thank you all for the input. I figured it was mostly the child. He doesn't mind any other of my daughters friends.

Back
Top Bottom