Normal Feet or Scaly Leg Mites? Please help!

Pics
I know where you are coming from and appreciate your concern. I once found two chickens walking around in a residential neighborhood and went all over the place to try to find the owner. Someone helped me track down him down and when I brought them to his door, I immediately regretted what I had done. It was clear the owner had not missed them and in fact planned to eat them. I was sick to my stomach over it because I realized they had escaped. Over the course of my lifetime I have known many people that had birds (parrots) and almost all of the birds were kept in dirty cages, never let out and were not fed nutritious foods. I don't mean to judge but unless I find some evidence that this bird is missed and loved, I will not go looking to send this bird back to where it most likely got sick. Not when she will be loved and cared for like family here.
Do you have a picture of her full body? Even seramas, being a popular pet breed, can get dumped when people end up with too many due to irresponsible breeding and things like that. :( I’m very glad you saved her. Tame chickens can accept a person as their flock, just like doves and parrots, and will have much less of a chance of being lonely if they’re getting a lot of human interaction.
Okay, she has the layer feed now and I will m make sure to buy some oyster shell for her too. Thanks!
I would personally recommend a feed with less calcium, since layer is more for very productive laying breeds. The extra calcium in layer feed isn’t as good for less productive birds. I feed my bantam hens flock raiser, though grower and all flock are also good options.

White legs are not the beginning of leg mites! So much so, that some standards for some aseel types say that the only acceptable leg color is white. On a different note, I would highly encourage you to get a second chicken to keep her company
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. I have a couple of parrots and a dove. I am hoping she will socialize well with them. It's an interesting dynamic. I teach them to respect each other and they get along well. Also, I work from home so I spend a lot of time with them. If for any reason I think she isn't happy here I will certainly look to place her somewhere with other bantams of her breed.

Any idea where she escaped from? It was likely a predator attack that made her leave, as chickens tend to love their home & flock. Her caretakers are likely very sad and think she is dead or in danger.

Parrots are known for their complex social structures, very different from chickens though (and thankfully IMO:lau
I know what you are saying. I have a dove that I rescued from someone that threw him away in a cage, literally put his cage next to a dumpster in a housing complex. This dove coos all day, and I know he would like a mate. But the fact is that most doves on Petfinder (where I found him) stay there for a very long time. He is 16 years old, according to his leg band. He will be living out the rest of his life with us and just has to accept the fact that he's single. He has a stuffed animal which he treats like a mate but he asks me for hugs and lets me cuddle his face. (Personally I think he's living his best life!) Years ago, I bought my parrot another parrot of the same species and as soon as I took her out of the box I knew there was no love connection. I still have them and they tolerate each other. I tried! :rolleyes: If for any reason I believe this chicken is unhappy, I will find her a new home. I'm careful but not cruel. :)

)! Just as another question, serams, or bantams and bantams in general are known to go broody quite often. How would you deal with her going broody?

Parrots are known for their complex social structures, very different from chickens though (and thankfully IMO:lau

)! Just as another question, serams, or bantams and bantams in general are known to go broody quite often. How would you deal with her going broody?
I will have to read more about this to find out what to do. I know hens can get a little aggressive around eggs which is understandable. Any advice you have would be most appreciated.

I haven't had the best success with bloodiest unfortunately, so I'm not the best person to ask for this, but I can definitely give you some advice! First of all you need to know what a broody is, and when do hens typically start to go broody. As light hours increase during spring time, hens start to lay again. They find a safe space where they lay each egg. When they have reached a certain amount of eggs in the nest, usually between 6 and 8 or 12, their body tells them it's time to bring more chickens into the world. They will spend more and more time on the nest, and their temperature will also rise. They will stay like this for approximately twenty one days, only leaving for short breaks for pooping, drinking and eating. Its important to keep in mind, brooding takes a toll on a chickens body. Now, you can either encourage or discourage broodyness. If you dont want a broody, the best method for breaking her is putting her in a dog crate, where air can pass all around her. Before she even goes broody, you can take the eggs daily, but that's not a guarantee it'll work. If you want to encourage it, leave the eggs there, and keep her nest darker. Hope this helps!
Yes, thanks for the reminder! I used to have a dove years ago who started laying eggs when I put her to sleep past 8pm. I started putting all my birds to bed earlier and she stopped laying. I had to be careful because I didn't want her body to use up all her calcium which I know would be a factor with having an indoor chicken as well. I take all of my bird outside in the spring-fall but can't in the winter. I will try to keep the chicken in a not-broody state as much as possible for her own well-being, but will research this a lot.

Hi everyone! I found a chicken while out running one day and boy has she been through the war. She had an infection that is now clearing up but the only other thing I am worried about is her feet. She is a bantam and I read that their feet are supposed to be yellow. Please see the pics of my chicken and her feet. Do these look normal to you, or is this the beginning of scaly leg mites? I started dipping her feet in vegetable oil after soaking them in an epsom salt bath for ten minutes... View attachment 3397264
She let you soak her feet for 10 minutes!?

Back
Top Bottom