Normal for old hen's eggs to be smaller?

StinkyAcres

Art & Animals
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jul 31, 2017
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
My EE hen, Ladybug, is 6 years old now and she has been laying small eggs this year. She is a very small EE (guessing at most about 3 pounds), but her eggs are smaller than normal. Is it normal for an older hen to lay smaller eggs? Should I add any supplements to help her? I think she has also been eating her own eggs occasionally. They are on the same food they've been on for years with crushed oyster shell and grit.

I think the older they get the weirder their eggs get, so while I haven't seen smaller eggs it doesn't sound too unexpected either. My oldest girls are very sporadic layers, and their eggs tend to be thinner shelled and the whites watery, the yolks blotchy. They cook up ok but I feed them to the dogs.

The eggs she's been eating, have they had strong shells, or are the shells thinning?

I think the older they get the weirder their eggs get, so while I haven't seen smaller eggs it doesn't sound too unexpected either. My oldest girls are very sporadic layers, and their eggs tend to be thinner shelled and the whites watery, the yolks blotchy. They cook up ok but I feed them to the dogs.

The eggs she's been eating, have they had strong shells, or are the shells thinning?
Thank you! Her eggs do seem to have thin shells. I thought maybe she's eating them because they are breaking when she lays them.

Back
Top Bottom