Normal Newborn behavior?

HeartsHolly17

Chirping
Apr 11, 2020
I had a baby pigeon just hatch and he’s kicking an awful lot and flopping around quite a bit. He has very powerful legs at least! Is this normal baby behavior or should I be concerned? He keeps almost flipping himself onto his back but eventually flops back

I had a baby pigeon just hatch and he’s kicking an awful lot and flopping around quite a bit. He has very powerful legs at least! Is this normal baby behavior or should I be concerned? He keeps almost flipping himself onto his back but eventually flops back
sometimes it takes a bit for chicks to learn how to walk. Especially ducks because their flappy feet need to unfold. As long as the rest of it looks health (like the umbilical chord area) than it'll probably be fine

sometimes it takes a bit for chicks to learn how to walk. Especially ducks because their flappy feet need to unfold. As long as the rest of it looks health (like the umbilical chord area) than it'll probably be fine

Pigeons can’t quite walk for a bit after hatching, sorry for the confusion! This isn’t a chicken

What kind of a nest, what kind of heat do you have for him? He must be on something not slippery so he doesn't get splayed legs.

He’s in a small cup covered in one layer of fabric. I just fed him and it seems like he’s going to sleep now that he has a full crop. Maybe it was just hungry bouncing? Here’s a pic, he’s in the incubator at 99F. He popped his head up with the side of the cup really cutely. Earlier he was peeping and bouncing almost every second

Attachments

• 92FC5936-4A2A-43DB-B8BC-8BF9454ADD06.jpeg
    92FC5936-4A2A-43DB-B8BC-8BF9454ADD06.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 13
What kind of a nest, what kind of heat do you have for him? He must be on something not slippery so he doesn't get splayed legs.

Here’s a pic of him flopped over as well. He’s calmer now but he still keeps flopping around. I’m pretty sure he can get back right-side-up but it’s still a bit concerning

Attachments

• 6A1D7C20-9607-4BCD-BD61-30AB4CC0B1CB.jpeg
    6A1D7C20-9607-4BCD-BD61-30AB4CC0B1CB.jpeg
    552.4 KB · Views: 13
Here’s a pic of him flopped over as well. He’s calmer now but he still keeps flopping around. I’m pretty sure he can get back right-side-up but it’s still a bit concernin
I have usually laid a piece of fabric overtop of baby in nest so he can sleep as if a parent were brooding him. Can you somehow make it dark? I have never tried to raise one from day one though...

I have usually laid a piece of fabric overtop of baby in nest so he can sleep as if a parent were brooding him. Can you somehow make it dark? I have never tried to raise one from day one though...

He’s in a corner of my room that’s pretty dark, I’m going to sleep soon so the light will be out.

Back
Top Bottom