Normal or Not?

aquafarmerri

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2016
WAKEFIELD RI
1f633.png

1f62c.png

It could be intestinal lining, or it could be coccidiosis. How is the bird acting? If she's acting sick, and there are more poos like this, then you might want to treat. How old is she? Cocci can be found in all soils, and are even present in all chicken guts. It's only when they outnumber the good guys in the chicken gut that they become a problem. More info about your flock, including age, housing, what is the run like? (grass or bare soil, or deep litter) and their behavior will help. You might consider giving them fermented feed, access to compost. These 2 things will go a long ways towards balancing their gut flora so coccidiosis never becomes an issue.

It could be intestinal lining, or it could be coccidiosis.  How is the bird acting?  If she's acting sick, and there are more poos like this, then you might want to treat.  How old is she?  Cocci can be found in all soils, and are even present in all chicken guts.  It's only when they outnumber the good guys in the chicken gut that they become a problem.  More info about your flock, including age, housing, what is the run like?  (grass or bare soil, or deep litter) and their behavior will help.  You might consider giving them fermented feed, access to compost.  These 2 things will go a long ways towards balancing their gut flora so coccidiosis never becomes an issue.
Hello they are a month old this past Monday...they are in the 8x4 brooder...no one seems to be sick...I only saw this because I had a couple of them on top of my brooder petting and feeding by hand...

Hi.
frow.gif

Your age is ripe for cocci, but that's not what mine looked like in the past. When it was cocci, it looked almost like a pure blood poo. Thin and bright red. What are you feeding? Sometimes brooders can be wetter than they seem.

Since no one is acting sick, I would just keep an eye on it.

Have they been outside yet? If not, maybe bring in a little dirt for them to get some immunity before they do head out. At that age, I like my chicks to spend their days outside so there is less poo in the brooder. As long as your weather isn't terrible. And I provide a huddle box. It's a good way to wean them off the heat lamp.

Hi. :frow

Your age is ripe for cocci, but that's not what mine looked like in the past. When it was cocci, it looked almost like a pure blood poo. Thin and bright red.  What are you feeding? Sometimes brooders can be wetter than they seem.

Since no one is acting sick, I would just keep an eye on it.

Have they been outside yet? If not, maybe bring in a little dirt for them to get some immunity before they do head out. At that age, I like my chicks to spend their days outside so there is less poo in the brooder. As long as your weather isn't terrible. And I provide a huddle box. It's a good way to wean them off the heat lamp.
I want to let them out but I'm actually afraid I won't be able to get them back in...lol!
1f917.png

All of us have that fear.
wink.png

Keep them in a closed in space while they get "homed" to the huddle box. Maybe 2 or 3 days. Then they will see that as safety and always run towards it or stay near by. And they will stay in a group. If anyone gets separated, they will try desperately to get back to their brood.

I gather them into a smaller space as I get ready to take them back in. They don't like to be caught and they are much faster than me.

Maybe bring in a shovel of dirt today and work your way up. I promise you ALL will be happier with them out.
big_smile.png
Make sure they have a place where they can get sun and shade both. Sometimes the box provides enough shade.

Good luck!

All of us have that fear. ;)

Keep them in a closed in space while they get "homed" to the huddle box. Maybe 2 or 3 days. Then they will see that as safety and always run towards it or stay near by. And they will stay in a group. If anyone gets separated, they will try desperately to get back to their brood. 

I gather them into a smaller space as I get ready to take them back in. They don't like to be caught and they are much faster than me.

Maybe bring in a shovel of dirt today and work your way up. I promise you ALL will be happier with them out. :D  Make sure they have a place where they can get sun and shade both. Sometimes the box provides enough shade.

Good luck!
Okay so I took all of them out except 8 of them only because I couldn't catch them in the brooder 8x6 and they are a lot quicker then me...lol! So I got a couple more pictures of there poop, I don't think it's good it's like water...
1f637.png
not good right?

What do I get and how do I do it...I think I would die if something happened to them because I did something wrong...they are all in the brooder...I opened the top up and covered it with chicken wire for the day when I put them back in...

Well, those don't look like cocci to me. Are you feeding medicated? When you see thin watery blood stools, there may be a chick standing around with feathers puffed out if it is cocci. As stated by @lazy gardener as long as there is no overgrowth it is always there. When it blooms to numbers they can't handle then it's a problem. Check your brooder bedding and make sure it is as dry as it looks. Mine was wetter underneath than on the surface. And when the chicks tucked in at night they snuggled their beaks down inside that gross stuff.
sickbyc.gif

If you do decide to treat for cocci, treat everyone. Corid is what I use. It isn't an antibiotic... it essentially starves out the cocci by blocking it from absorbing thiamine (I think). You could use it in the preventative dose since you don't actually have signs, but I would let their natural defenses work for now and treat if I actually see signs. For me first thing in the morning was the easiest time to see any fresh blood in the brooder. Changing bedding often and making sure there is no poo in the water are the most important prevention methods. And I found even just stirring up the bedding when I let them out to pasture in the morning it would dry out more before they came back in. Moisture is the ideal habitat for cocci to thrive.

When you see the poo is like water, one thing to remember is that is also how chickens expel their urates.

Sounds like you have enough birds to make it worth your time to try fermenting feed. Check out the link in my signature line, I highly recommend it. Although the poo still smells, it is much more solid and smells WAY less! I love love love FF and can't say enough about it, although I know some don't agree. We all have to do what works for and makes sense to us.

If you see someone sitting around and not acting normal, then pursue this further but for now... I think you are OK.

You might use a broom stick or something to extend your reach and help the other chicks find their way out. They are good about getting just out of our reach!
rant.gif
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom