Normal poo? Bird seems hot, sometimes watery poo...sneezed twice

GoodLuckCharlie!

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Darnit! I just finished giving my chicks Corid for a week, and they have now been on vitamin/electrolytes for 3 days. Now my biggest chick 3 weeks old has this poo...she seems warm when she perches herself on my arm, and I thought she sneezed a couple times. I'm in SoCal, so its 75-85 in the daytime and cooler in evenings, so I've been trying to make sure they're not overheated in the day and no drafts at night, but I'm not positive I'm doing it all right. The 5 chicks are in 2 large plastic bins-1 bin for the bought Javas and 1 bin for the hatched EE's. They are not on medicated feed-I was trying to avoid meds as much as possible since my family and I have so many allergies and reactions to things edible and environmental. I'm bummed! I think I must be keeping everything TOO clean, because my neighbor bought chicks the same time from the same place, and hasn't had these problems...she doesn't clean things out nearly as much as me and I clean out everything once a day with bleachy soap and hot water.

Lilliboo (the pooey chick) is a 3 week old-EE
She's on organic starter feed
She's on vitamin/electrolyte water-is there a chance the dose is too high? I put enough in a gallon jug to color it with the vit mix.
I change her water and food everyday-water changed a couple times a day so there's fresh supply.
I looked at the poo chart http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 -didn't see one like hers-she's more runny and brown...with specks...would it just be the type of food?
Ugh! I can't figure out how to upload the picture of the poo...any help please? Thanks.
Lilliboo's poo is rusty brown colored-not bloody, just loose, and she also has very loose to all wet poos too.
[
86029_lilliboos_poo_5-25-11.jpg
]
Yay! I did it! I got the image to work...and yes...that is poo on my arm...
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The poop looks normal. Watery poop is usually caused by drinking alot of water due to hot temps. The sneezing could be from the environment; dust in her nostrils, a small granule of feed, pollen etc...Mine sneeze sometimes after eating layer crumbles.
As long as she's eating and drinking, I wouldnt worry too much about it. Just observe her for a day or two, just in case though.

Thanks-the chicks seem to huddle together if i don't have the light on and at 80 degrees all the time-I'll watch the temps and Lilliboo.

GoodLuckCharlie! :

Thanks-the chicks seem to huddle together if i don't have the light on and at 80 degrees all the time-I'll watch the temps and Lilliboo.

If they are 3 weeks old, the temp for them should be a constant 85 degrees, nights included.​

Wow, glad you said something-I was a week ahead on lowering the temp 5 degrees a week...I will change the temp right now thanks!
cool.png

GoodLuckCharlie! :

Wow, glad you said something-I was a week ahead on lowering the temp 5 degrees a week...I will change the temp right now thanks!
cool.png

Just for your future reference, here is a chick care page that I find very helpful:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

There is a range though, the first week is 90-95 and decrease by 5 degrees per week etc.

Your chicks, having gone through a Corid round, might prefer to be on the warmer side. You also must look at your chicks. If they are peeping loudly they are likely cold. If they are all huddled under the light they are likely cold. If they are trying to get away from the light they are likely hot. If they are all lying down and lethargic they might be overheated (even panting).

You should see them spread out happily moving around, some asleep, etc.

A lot of people's chicks (my own included) prefer the cooler end of the range recommended. I have had my 3 week olds at 80 and everything was fine. A lot depends on the ROOM temperature. (For example, is it winter and their heat is being sucked out rapidly? Is it summer and already 78 in the room?)

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html
another chick care page I really like

It is best to offer that perfect temperature as Dawg53 said and then let them get cooler by moving away from the light.

The large plastic bins are great as brooders but you will have to be on top of their temps or you can overheat them quickly, if they cannot escape the heat very far away.

You sound like you are on top of things and I hope everything works out for you and your chicks!

Next time you give Corid, don't give vitamins at the same time.

Also here is the poo page:
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
Thanks for the links-I've been following them. I started the vitamins after the week of Corid though-Corid ended Sunday night and vit/water started Monday. I'm home all day and I have the bins in a consistent temp area for the day/nights, so I feel good about regulating that-just I started out with them at 95 the first week, 90 the second week, then for some reason I wrote down 80 on the calendar for this week...good catch though, I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom