Normal size for day 18?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I have around a dozen white cochin bantam eggs on day 18 now-
This is the first time I've hatched from my white cochins.
-
Many may say this is unusual but 9/10 times in any hatch the majority of my eggs internally pip the night of day 18/early day 19 and are hatched by the night of day 19/early day 20.
Chicks hardly ever need assistance.
I'm a hatchaholic, I pretty much never have an empty incubator.
I hatch rather large eggs too sometimes, even they hatch early.
-
Because of this I'm used to air pockets being large enough the chicks can pip without a problem around day 18.
-
With my current eggs it doesn't seem to be the case, the chicks don't seem like they'll be internally pipping soon, usually I can tell.
And the air pockets look small on every one of them.
Also I'm not too worried that they aren't being early like all my others are since they aren't exactly supposed to hatch until around day 21. I'm just wondering about their air pockets.
(I dry incubate if that helps.)
**Not all the eggs are pictured**
IMG_20240123_192407954_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240123_192424847_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240123_192529497_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240123_192514220_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240123_192451012_HDR.jpg

I just candled a bunch of silkie eggs yesterday that were on day 17 and they looked pretty much like that. I do traditional humidity (40/50, then 60/70). I could barely see two of them moving. Were you able to see life in any? What I figured was since mine all looked the same, and I could see movement in two, then they all were good. They're in lockdown now so we'll both soon see! ☺️

I just candled a bunch of silkie eggs yesterday that were on day 17 and they looked pretty much like that. I do traditional humidity (40/50, then 60/70). I could barely see two of them moving. Were you able to see life in any? What I figured was since mine all looked the same, and I could see movement in two, then they all were good. They're in lockdown now so we'll both soon see! ☺️
They all have movement, some are more lively than others

How are yours doing?
I'm noticing air pockets in some now are have definitely gotten bigger- Some I see wiggling toes.
Still no internal pips- It's the night of day 20.
-
But ironically, I have two large eggs from my layers- (Large they could be considered a small Pekin duck egg)
Who were set almost a day after the bantam cochin eggs- they're both internally pipped and chirping. 😂
-
I'm still used to all my eggs being hatched by the afternoon of day 20- With the majority being done by the night of day 19.
Unusual, maybe, but day 19 for me is literally hatch day-
Any day 21 babies I call the "Made you wait" babies.

How are yours doing?
I'm noticing air pockets in some now are have definitely gotten bigger- Some I see wiggling toes.
Still no internal pips- It's the night of day 20.
-
But ironically, I have two large eggs from my layers- (Large they could be considered a small Pekin duck egg)
Who were set almost a day after the bantam cochin eggs- they're both internally pipped and chirping. 😂
-
I'm still used to all my eggs being hatched by the afternoon of day 20- With the majority being done by the night of day 19.
Unusual, maybe, but day 19 for me is literally hatch day-
Any day 21 babies I call the "Made you wait" babies.
No pips here, but day 21 is Saturday, so this is 19. I didn't expect to see any today but it's happened. Tomorrow I should. I know when I first started hatching, I was told by other silkie owners it's 19 days on silkies, but mine were always 20/21. So, tomorrow I hope to see some action.

Good luck to both of us! :fl:hugs

No pips here, but day 21 is Saturday, so this is 19. I didn't expect to see any today but it's happened. Tomorrow I should. I know when I first started hatching, I was told by other silkie owners it's 19 days on silkies, but mine were always 20/21. So, tomorrow I hope to see some action.

Good luck to both of us! :fl:hugs
How are yours? Day 22 here-
As of this morning out of 9 eggs-
2 haven't done anything and their air pockets haven't done much since day 18- But the chicks are alive, one i was sure was dead but didn't want to assume- Glad i didn't, this morning its making clear signs of movement.
5 are internally pipped, and 2 are pipped.
One of the pips was right outside the air pocket line though.
I mentioned when i created this thread I had a dozen eggs- I do-
But 4 are on different days then these.
2 are on day 20, the other 2 are on day 21-
Their air pockets look like the 2 on day 22.
-
One of the big eggs that i mentioned in my last reply that was internally pipped is unzipping as I type.

How are yours? Day 22 here-
As of this morning out of 9 eggs-
2 haven't done anything and their air pockets haven't done much since day 18- But the chicks are alive, one i was sure was dead but didn't want to assume- Glad i didn't, this morning its making clear signs of movement.
5 are internally pipped, and 2 are pipped.
One of the pips was right outside the air pocket line though.
I mentioned when i created this thread I had a dozen eggs- I do-
But 4 are on different days then these.
2 are on day 20, the other 2 are on day 21-
Their air pockets look like the 2 on day 22.
-
One of the big eggs that i mentioned in my last reply that was internally pipped is unzipping as I type.
I had 2 hatch early on Day 20 so closer to 19 days on those two.

I woke up to 5 more this morning (Day 21). There are internal pips on a few others.

This project started with 28 eggs, mostly shipped. I lost nearly half their first week, but I'm happy with whatever I get! I think I'm a hatchaholic too!

I had 2 hatch early on Day 20 so closer to 19 days on those two.

I woke up to 5 more this morning (Day 21). There are internal pips on a few others.

This project started with 28 eggs, mostly shipped. I lost nearly half their first week, but I'm happy with whatever I get! I think I'm a hatchaholic too!
I'm planning on setting some shipped eggs tomorrow night or monday morning-
They're sitting on the counter right now.
Quite worried about them, never hatched shipped eggs before. When i candled they all looked scrambled despite coming from Cadwell, GA which is only 3½ hours.
I suppose they got handled quite roughly, they were packaged pretty well. Or that's what im being told by most.
(18 eggs also.)
Congrats on those chicks though 😊

I'm planning on setting some shipped eggs tomorrow night or monday morning-
They're sitting on the counter right now.
Quite worried about them, never hatched shipped eggs before. When i candled they all looked scrambled despite coming from Cadwell, GA which is only 3½ hours.
I suppose they got handled quite roughly, they were packaged pretty well. Or that's what im being told by most.
(18 eggs also.)
Congrats on those chicks though 😊
Thank you!

I leave my shipped out for 12 hours. I didn't candle them at first and maybe I should have because some recommend 24 hours. Letting them sit longer might have saved more of them. 🤔

The first candling I did was on Day 7 and that's when I was left with about 62% of them. They either didn't start or were not fertile. I don't know if there's a difference as they just looked like a lava lamp.

Good luck with yours! I hope you get a way better percentage hatch rate than I am getting!

Back
Top Bottom