Normal size for day 18?

Thank you!

I leave my shipped out for 12 hours. I didn't candle them at first and maybe I should have because some recommend 24 hours. Letting them sit longer might have saved more of them. šŸ¤”

The first candling I did was on Day 7 and that's when I was left with about 62% of them. They either didn't start or were not fertile. I don't know if there's a difference as they just looked like a lava lamp.

Good luck with yours! I hope you get a way better percentage hatch rate than I am getting!
Is it normal for chicks to be upside down in the air pocket?
Some of the ones who were internally pipped just pipped and they're upside down and also near the bottom of the fat side.
IMG_20240127_100816222.jpg
IMG_20240127_100835304.jpg

Wondering if this is why hatching time for them was delayed.
Also thank you! I'm hoping I'll at least hatch something.

Last edited:
That's not what they look like though-
The bottom of their beak is facing towards the skinny side instead of the fat side.
Circled egg is what's in question. View attachment 3734930View attachment 3734931
I see what you're saying now. That one for some reason didn't develop with the air sac on the larger side. Did you set these before putting them in the incubator with the smaller end pointing down?

I see what you're saying now. That one for some reason didn't develop with the air sac on the larger side. Did you set these before putting them in the incubator with the smaller end pointing down?
The air sac is on the larger end- he's just facing the wrong direction in the air sac.
And yep! I always out the smaller end down.

Is it normal for chicks to be upside down in the air pocket?
Some of the ones who were internally pipped just pipped and they're upside down and also near the bottom of the fat side.
View attachment 3734898View attachment 3734899
Wondering if this is why hatching time for them was delayed.
Also thank you! I'm hoping I'll at least hatch something.
Are they still in the egg turner and hatching?

Back
Top Bottom