Normal, Spoiled or Starving?

TribeWild

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2018
Outside St. Louis, MO
We have 6 chickens (3 rhode island red and 3 ameraucanas) who just all started laying in the past month and a half.

A few months ago the local grocery stores had lots of sales on corn, so we would buy some and give the ladies an ear a day as a treat. About 3 weeks ago we switched them to a different feed (from just pellets to a mixture. Threw the bag away so I can't tell you what it is at the moment).

Now anytime we go anywhere near their coop they start freaking out and if I open the door they all try to run out and gobble down grass as fast as they can - i seriously have to grab a few handfuls to toss in there just so I can open the door without escaping chickens. I make sure their food is always full and they're eating it (although a lot gets thrown out of the feeder onto the ground) but the way they attack the grass or any scraps I toss end makes me feel like they're starving.

Is this normal, are they starving or have we just spoiled them?

If the behavior change started after you switched food, I would suspect they are lacking something in their diet. The problem with mixed whole grain food, is that they tend to eat what they like best, and leave the rest. It is normal for chickens to attack a treat item like they haven't seen food in a month, but a sudden change would have me wondering. Maybe go back to what you were feeding.

We have 6 chickens (3 rhode island red and 3 ameraucanas) who just all started laying in the past month and a half.

A few months ago the local grocery stores had lots of sales on corn, so we would buy some and give the ladies an ear a day as a treat. About 3 weeks ago we switched them to a different feed (from just pellets to a mixture. Threw the bag away so I can't tell you what it is at the moment).

Now anytime we go anywhere near their coop they start freaking out and if I open the door they all try to run out and gobble down grass as fast as they can - i seriously have to grab a few handfuls to toss in there just so I can open the door without escaping chickens. I make sure their food is always full and they're eating it (although a lot gets thrown out of the feeder onto the ground) but the way they attack the grass or any scraps I toss end makes me feel like they're starving.

Is this normal, are they starving or have we just spoiled them?
They're just a few chickens who like the good stuff. Mine do the exact same thing. They want what they don't get on a regular basis. They aren't starving or sick, they just love scraps and grass. If you think a chicken is losing weight, you can pick her up and see if she is light and feel if her breastbone is pronounced. You won't feel much meat on her if she's skinny. I don't think that's a problem, though. Your chicks just know what they like.

They're just a few chickens who like the good stuff. Mine do the exact same thing. They want what they don't get on a regular basis. They aren't starving or sick, they just love scraps and grass. If you think a chicken is losing weight, you can pick her up and see if she is light and feel if her breastbone is pronounced. You won't feel much meat on her if she's skinny. I don't think that's a problem, though. Your chicks just know what they like.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how to check for underweight chickens so that is very helpful to know!

Feed composed of mixed whole grains can be a problem, because at least some individuals will pick out the 'tasty bits' and unbalance their diet. It's a common problem in caged birds and pets like hamsters, who only eat the sunflower seeds, for example.
I also feed an all- flock feed, with oyster shell on the side, and have for a long time. In my case, it's Flock Raiser, a crumble, that has good mill dates on each bag here (within one month or less) and is fed within another two or three weeks. Fresh matters!!!
I've seen feed at the same TSC here that's six months old; I wouldn't feed it if it was free!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom