Normal, Spoiled or Starving?

I never feed layer. I feed a Grower finisher feed and supply Oyster shell in a separate bowl once laying.
You don't let them out of the pen at all?

Our yard currently isn't safe to let them out of the run (neighbors let their dogs run loose and they've already terrorized the chickens through the sides of the run before) but we are planning on expanding the run this fall.

They just know there is better stuff to eat now than just the pellets. You are stuck now, chickens don't forget about food. If you don't let them graze maybe start giving them alfalfa hay or sprouted grains to feed their taste for greenery.:)

Thank you for the suggestion! We'll have to try that.

No, we don't let them out to graze right now because the neighbors let their dogs run free and we've found them in our yard multiple times. Until neighbor gets their fence up (which they've been saying they would for a year) the chickens have stay in the run. We are planning on expanding the run this fall, though, to give them more room.

Feed composed of mixed whole grains can be a problem, because at least some individuals will pick out the 'tasty bits' and unbalance their diet. It's a common problem in caged birds and pets like hamsters, who only eat the sunflower seeds, for example.
I also feed an all- flock feed, with oyster shell on the side, and have for a long time. In my case, it's Flock Raiser, a crumble, that has good mill dates on each bag here (within one month or less) and is fed within another two or three weeks. Fresh matters!!!
I've seen feed at the same TSC here that's six months old; I wouldn't feed it if it was free!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom