1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    Early last week I lost two chicks to cold/stress/cocci.

My remaining chick needed a buddy so we picked up a new chick from the hatchery this past Wednesday. Well this chick appears fine except that last night I noticed a huge bulge on her neck.

My first thought was impacted crop but that sounds ridiculous on a chick as we aren't feeding her hay or anything stringy. I know that when eating their crops can get full and it may bulge out but this is like the size of a large marble. Her chick feed is practically powder it's so ground up. All the other chicks we have raised in the past have never had a lump this size on their 'chest' area. I removed her food for an hour last night and watered her by hand a bit and then gently massaged the area, but this morning the lump is still there. I can almost feel the little grains of feed in there. So odd. Anyone else have chicks that get these lumps when they eat?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. Chickenkeepr

Chickenkeepr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Watertown, NY
    What breed is this new chick?

3. HeatherEmme

HeatherEmme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    All of my chickens/chicks are buff orpingtons

4. Chickenkeepr

Chickenkeepr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2015
    Watertown, NY
    Oh, ok. I was thinking if the hatchery had given you a cornish cross, that would explain it. My meat chicks always looked like they had tumors on them when I would feed. Do they have chick grit available? Could it have ingested some shavings or straw?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by