North Carolina

Am I the only one that has noticed how hard it is to sell anything right now? If I had a swap anywhere nearby I know birds would go much easier, BUT there really isn't any swaps, auctions/sells nearby without me travel 1.5-2 hrs away which is alot of gas to try and sell a few birds.

I had to cull out a bunch of extra birds the other day, because I couldn't even give them away. I kept having people interested and then either wanting me to drive to meet them 20,30 miles away for free birds (yeah not happening for free) or being no shows to pick up/buy birds....

I'm not really hatching anything else til I get all these extra birds gone, and fall is here where its nicer weather to deal with it all.

IF anyone is interested I do have some silkie chicks white, blue, blue partridge project, and maybe a few partridge all between 4 and 12 weeks old. A few partridge girls (1 laying hen, 2 young (5 mo) pullets ) and a black 8 mo. laying pullet

quick question: I have a 6+/- month old mixed hen that just started laying and I think she's gone broody! is this normal? should I give her eggs to sit on or break her since she is so young? and if I should give her eggs who has some for her? lol

quick question: I have a 6+/- month old mixed hen that just started laying and I think she's gone broody! is this normal? should I give her eggs to sit on or break her since she is so young? and if I should give her eggs who has some for her? lol

I have silkies who go broody before they ever even lay an egg or lay for a couple weeks, then they go broody. Every girl is different, some just 'think' they want to be broody, some are serious stubborn broodies that will sit on air in hopes of having babies, some just want to sit eggs and don't make good mothers, some want babies so bad they'll sit on eggs for a couple days then still another hen's chicks, or even take up chicks that are 4-6 weeks old that the 'real mama' kicked off...

I say give her a few days of sitting on golfballs, plastic eggs, or just spare eggs you have (that may be infertile even) to test her out to see if she is sticking to the idea of going broody. Then give her some eggs if you want chicks. if you don't want any chicks then try and break her of it. (lock her out of the coop, put her in a cage with a wire bottom no bedding, dunk her in cool water atleast once a day as well and stick her in the cage to 'cool her bum' and try to break that 'broody switch'

I have silkies who go broody before they ever even lay an egg or lay for a couple weeks, then they go broody. Every girl is different, some just 'think' they want to be broody, some are serious stubborn broodies that will sit on air in hopes of having babies, some just want to sit eggs and don't make good mothers, some want babies so bad they'll sit on eggs for a couple days then still another hen's chicks, or even take up chicks that are 4-6 weeks old that the 'real mama' kicked off...

I say give her a few days of sitting on golfballs, plastic eggs, or just spare eggs you have (that may be infertile even) to test her out to see if she is sticking to the idea of going broody. Then give her some eggs if you want chicks. if you don't want any chicks then try and break her of it. (lock her out of the coop, put her in a cage with a wire bottom no bedding, dunk her in cool water atleast once a day as well and stick her in the cage to 'cool her bum' and try to break that 'broody switch'

Thanks Jessy! if she's still sitting when I get home today that'll make 3 days she's been sitting. so I'll need some eggs if anyone is bringing any to the swap tomorrow let me know!

Okay... I have a RIR pullet from Ideal Hatchery who has never laid an egg (She is a week short of 5 months) She has a very red comb as compared to her sisters pink comb. She is hunkering down in the corner of my coop putting discarded feathers under her... She normally panics if I get too close but now shes letting me get up close and pet her but shes giving me an evil eye... Is she going broody???????? Or is this normal nest making, egg laying behavior? Sorry for my panic lol but its my first year with chickens and I'm still learning.
Thanks, Lenore
smile.png

Okay... I have a RIR pullet from Ideal Hatchery who has never laid an egg (She is a week short of 5 months) She has a very red comb as compared to her sisters pink comb. She is hunkering down in the corner of my coop putting discarded feathers under her... She normally panics if I get too close but now shes letting me get up close and pet her but shes giving me an evil eye... Is she going broody???????? Or is this normal nest making, egg laying behavior? Sorry for my panic lol but its my first year with chickens and I'm still learning.
Thanks, Lenore
smile.png

hmmm nestling in the corner, plucking feathers....sounds like broody behavior...or she could just be preparing to lay and shes confused. LOL

Back
Top Bottom