North Carolina

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE
frow.gif

Anyone goto the WCA last weekend? (I had other plans and it just took too long to make the drive)

By chance have there been any started Cornish x auctioned off lately? If so about what have they been going for? I think I may go up next weekend if there have been some, its about all I have room for right now.

none last weekend.... Ya never know what will show up.
tongue.png

so real quick on the killing of hawks sometimes you can kill an animal with no permit if it is in the act of damaging your property and you have to prove that it did over 50$ worth of damage with out permit. it is considered a nuisance animal and falls under depredation. now hawks being federally protected there is a process you have to go though and you have to get a permit after you proved you went through this process and it is that you tried everything to deter this hawk from hunting your livestock. like shooting in its general direction and hanging up shiney objects. the permit really isnt all that hard to get, the red tail hawk population is not suffering and falconers are actually permited to trap babies from the wild. BUT...if you kill one adult hawk that has staked its territory, 8 more juveniles are gonig to move in to compete for it and they are much more wreckless about hunting and killing. the comment about why a hawk would kill multiple times, yes to feed its young. the male and female both hunt to feed so they would both be killing, and also to teach the young. they go for chicks because flyign away with anything much over 1.5 lbs is hard for them. and adult female red tail, the largest raptor around here maxes out at around 3 lbs. the males are closer to 2 lbs. also they are going ot hunt in open fields and yards, not wooded areas. they are too big and clumsy to navigate the woods are are actually not even considered true hawks, they are in the buteo family. so they are not that related to the coopers and other forest dwelling hawks.

here is a useful file on hawks and owls http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/pdf/wildlife/HAWKS_N_OWLS.PDF

and here is some general info an depredation
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Licensing/Regulations/NongameandOtherRegulations/WildlifeDepredation.aspx

and if you are really concerned there are links on both sites on how to find the local wildlife damage control agent and they can tell you a lot more about you situation.

*edited to add links*

Last edited:
oh and on a much more positive note than predators and killing, welcome to those i saw from the greensboro and asheboro areas joining the forum!!
i am from eden which is north of greensboro but i work in asheboro and do my shopping/socializing in greensboro. great to have more people from the central area on here.

i have been off here for a couple weeks mourning the loss of a bunch of my chickens. scouring the woods looking for carcasses or tracks trying to figure out what i am up against. i let them range, but an now considering a fenced in area. it was hard to determine because whatever predator was making its rounds got my dads hunting dogs in a fury and one got out and once it ran the predator off he did some damage of his own.

my question to you all is...my last 2 hens, who are still on lock down, they normally free range, have stopped laying. now at first i thought the heat. but they were laying on the hottest of days a couple weeks ago. and they have a fan and some ice blocks. i saw some panting at the heat of the day but never as far and dropping the wings and looking exhausted. so did they stoped laying because they are no longer ranging? is it because 2/3s of thier flock has been eaten and they are scared? or delayed reaction from the heat wave? any ideas?

also anyone have experiance with standard cochins pretty much being predator food? they were the first to get picked off and they seemed really docile with no survival instinct. ironic since i got them because i figured theyd be too big for the hawks to mess with. i have a wyandotte/leghorn mix and she is very alert and good about hiding and hanging out in safe places. she is also skittish and more distant. i think if she was a person she would be a conspiricy theorist. and my cuddly little cochins just kinda sat out in the middle of the yard and wouldnt run from anything. are there any other breeds that one may peg as not having the best survival instinct?

Well after having laptop issues for two days, I finally remembered all the trouble that everyone had with using IE so now I am on Chrome and its working perfectly... Anyway, this is my special kid with a crooked beak. His name is Cooper and he gets special attention from my two EE pullets. They love him :)

My girls combs are kinda floppy like this, Is it just the heat? I was hoping they would start laying soon but i may have to wait til fall with this ridiculous weather
roll.png

none last weekend.... Ya never know what will show up.
tongue.png

If I try REALLY hard not to schedule anything this Sunday I will go up there to check. (Yeah right!
tongue2.gif
)

Hubby got laid off AGAIN, so rather then loss my mind I'm picking every bit of extra work I can... and selling off veggies & such. Long as no one asks me to drive and meet them on Sunday I'm going to head to the WCA. Its been WAY too long since last I've went.

Which is good for the control of my animal population here at least! hahahaha
gig.gif

Well after having laptop issues for two days, I finally remembered all the trouble that everyone had with using IE so now I am on Chrome and its working perfectly... Anyway, this is my special kid with a crooked beak. His name is Cooper and he gets special attention from my two EE pullets. They love him :)

Cooper looks annoyed. Like, internet MEME annoyed! LOL I'm picturing a DeNiro voice saying, "You lookin' at me? You lookin' at me?!"

Back
Top Bottom