North Carolina

5 month old indian blues run about $50-75 per pair or less around here. They don't really breed well till 3 years old. That is why most folks want to find mature birds. Even 3 year olds should top out at $150 a pair for plain indian blues.

Matt
Agreed........The most $100 a pair for IBs.

Quote: The Fed's have laid down the LAW on this! Big time jail time and money's.
barnie.gif
I do agree with you on the threat to MY stock, but if found out, it's no defense.
he.gif

I spent a lot of time getting a young Great Horned owl out of CSB's Pigeon loft one time, without hurting it, lost a few birds doing it,
somad.gif
but the Owl was unharmed!
Good luck with your problem
fl.gif

Scott (who talked alot of sh*t to that Owl for over an hour or so)

CJJENKINS pretty sure that you are right about the black and white EE being a roo

Cute sizzle, looks kinda like the cross beak silkie at home.

Well, found out that I'm gonna be butt deep in chicks when I get home. DH didn't get eggs at all, I'll have been gone for 5-6 weeks when I get back. All ready heard of two broodies without a head count on their chicks.

Good Morning Everyone!! Thank you all so much for the hawk advice & information. We have decided to try a few tactics...first we are going to keep our flock locked up for the rest of the weekend (just remind me to close my eyes and NOT look at them when I am mowing the law...the pitiful look is killing me). This will enable us to hang some CD's & shiny/flashy things along the tree edges. Lastly, DH is going to try and construct a few portable "hides" that I can set out around our yard so should they need to hide (and are smart enough to hide), they will. Most of my chickens stay near the wood's edge, but the mama & chicks have been out in the open grass/pasture area, so I guess that makes them easier prey. We can do all that we can to protect them, and then leave it to nature to sort out who is going to stay who will not make it.
sad.png
Glad I have another broody - but with her & her chicks, I think I may have DH build a small portable tractor for them until they are big enough to either go into the freezer or too big to carry off!!
hugs.gif
Thanks again everyone!!

Last night I cooked my first rooster. He tasted very good. Made chicken and rice. The kids ate every bite and wanted more.
Found an extra rooster in the coop, so now I still have 3 roosters.
he.gif

Thinking of taking him and 2 hen to the flock swap and see if I can get a silky or two for them. or should I just give him away and buy a couple of silkies?
Sharon

Last night I cooked my first rooster. He tasted very good. Made chicken and rice. The kids ate every bite and wanted more.
Found an extra rooster in the coop, so now I still have 3 roosters.
he.gif

Thinking of taking him and 2 hen to the flock swap and see if I can get a silky or two for them. or should I just give him away and buy a couple of silkies?
Sharon
Thanks for reminding me about the flock swap! I've got a couple cockerels that need to go, too!

Speaking of which, those that went to WCA last week...how was the temperature inside on the birds? I still have birds to go, but I don't want to cook them.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

We made it to Nashville,Tn last night.
We stopped at a dinosaur museum in Tucumcari,NM
that the kids wanted to see and they enjoyed it.
We also stopped at the American Quarter Horse
museum that Jamie and I wanted to see......it was nice
but they did not have any past champions in the barn
to see.......rats!!!

Today we hope to get to the Mammoth Cave in Ky.
and the next day we hope to see the horse park
near Lexington but not sure how long it will take to drive
there so it may take an extra day......after that we come home.

We stopped in Oklahoma for hatching eggs for Jamie.....
it's that chicken math thing ya know.....lol.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Found an extra rooster in the coop, so now I still have 3 roosters. :he
Sharon
I was told that a silkie hatched some eggs, after I find out who is a project and who is silkie (when egg laying starts) I'll have some sexed silkies.

Back
Top Bottom