North Carolina

Sweet! I'll offer them here first if anyone is interested: I have 7 bantam buff brahmas, and a bunch of f1 color brahmas, some 8-9 weeks old and some 4-5 weeks old.
My flock is closed (and the last thing I need is more chickens!), but what are f1 color brahmas?
I've never heard of them so I googled it but nothing came up.
We only have one Brahma and it's a buff brahma about 14 weeks old, it's the one my son picked out of the hatchery catalog for himself, I didn't realize they were going to get massive!

Okay thanks for the info!!!

What color are you trying to breed Luke?

I can't wait to have a farm all the things you can do with breeding chickens sounds like so much fun!
I'm attempting to make Red brahmas. It's not as easy as i thought it would be so I have a bunch of lights with off colors and colors in the wrong patterns

Chicken genetics are so interesting, yet so confusing to me.
In trying to determine what these mixes I hatched are I started googling it with not much luck.
Anyone know what's dominant if the parents are one of each:

4 toed and a 5 toes
Feather legged and clean legged
Standard size and Bantam
Silkie or top hat type gene and a standard chicken
Single comb and another type like pea comb

Also, Easter Eggers have puffy cheeks. If you cross an EE hen with a Black Copper Maran dad for an Olive Egger do they all still have the puffy cheeks too?

There's gotta be a book on chicken genetics or mixed breeding somewhere I would think....

Yeah... I am thinking they would snatch a chicken up in a second! We are looking in to alternatives so that we can let them all be in the yard together. Here soon we are going to fence in our yard, and plan to free range the chickens. I would like to be able to let the dogs out as well. One of our neighbors just got a new puppy and I am thinking it is a pit, it is going to be a large dog -- and I will not have it in my yard preying on my little yappers or peckers! Gotta keep em all safe!

DISCLAIMER: I have NOTHING against pitbull dogs. They too can be very sweet dogs :) I am a pet LOVER, no doubt!
I've known sweet pits before, too. Maybe as a deterrent, you could get yourself and your "yappers and peckers" (love your terminology!) involved in his training so that he sees everyone as part of his family and under his protection.

Wicked Chicken Auction List for this Sunday:
- Trio of Broiler cross teenagers. They are very flavorful and capable of reproducing and are great free rangers!
- Leghorn/Marans cross rooster
- Bantam Splash Cochin hen
- Big Delaware cross rooster
- Cuckoo Marans Hen
- Crested Cream Legbar Trio (young teens)

Hi, there! Stopping in to ask if anyone within a couple hours drive of Myrtle Beach/Florence/Wilmington breeds English Budgies, or knows someone who does?

I've been parrot-less for about a decade now, and have recently decided I need tiny poo on my shoulders and desk again. ;)

My Pit is great with our girls! He kept stray dogs out of yard that were trying to get to the chickens and didn't mind them at all! They would try to sneak his dog food and he didn't even try to get them then lol

Hi All! Live in Wake Forest and have my first little flock. 2 Leghorns, 2 Reds and 2 little Bantams that I just learned are roosters.
barnie.gif
No fears, my hubby has some lovely friends willing to take them. Wish they weren't so darn cute though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom