North Carolina

hide.gif
The last 3 hatches..in 3 different incubators....I didn't even add water at all.
hu.gif

I am OVER-RUN with chicks.
barnie.gif

Seems like this is an odd hatch season. I had ducklings and chicks due that hatched out the day I locked them down, so they were almost 3 days early.

come out and enjoy the flock swap. At the mill spring agricultural center. Come by, sell, buy and trade, check out the farm store, with fresh bread, jams, produce and fresh meats. And come check out the meat tasting, local farmers, farm raised meats, and their best recipes.

156 School road. Mill spring NC 28756. @ Mill spring ag center.

went to this advent a couple months ago, and it was very goo, lots of birds, rabbits and turkeys, and all the animals, were cage humanely, with water and looked all in great health.

Wow, thanks for the info!
I was just surprised seeing all of them for sale.
I've never heard of pigeon competitions, that's pretty cool!
I know some people eat squab (pigeons), but there can't be much meat on them.
I like idea of them being pets and competitive acrobats much better :)

My Indian fantails were pets, beautiful birds, that learned to fly on a tether and perch on my arm.

Here's a good concise source for information on Infectious laryngotracheitis (ILT). http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AvianHealth/Docs/iltfactsheet.pdf

According to this, it is spread both through contact with contaminated surfaces and is also airborne for up to 0.3 miles. That will make it easy to spread! This also reports the recombinant vaccine as providing coverage for 60 weeks.

This looks like another nasty. There are apparently no treatments, and it creates carriers. The ethical thing to do is to destroy the infected flock, in my opinion.

I think it's Coryza, but I'm not an expert.
I don't know.
The older ones never got symptoms, possibly exposed before or higher immune system?
I culled them all besides the 4 older ones who weren't sick and this one barred rock I can't bring myself to do. (I culled her sister and slit her neck since I've heard this is the most humane. It took her FOREVER to bleed out and she was conscious the whole time. I think I may not have severed the artery as well as I thought I did. I don't know after her I couldn't do another one...)
My husband will be home in 2 weeks he needs to deal with it if she doesn't start getting better.
I tried duramycin 10 in water, ocytetracycline injections, then after a break from that Tylan 50 injections.
She's eating and moving around (though hobbling now since I think I knicked a nerve on injection).
The face swelling went down, the eyes cleared up, and the color came back to comb and wattles.
But there is still clear mucous coming out of the nose and if you get close, she still stinks....

I think it's Coryza, but I'm not an expert.
I don't know.
The older ones never got symptoms, possibly exposed before or higher immune system?
I culled them all besides the 4 older ones who weren't sick and this one barred rock I can't bring myself to do. (I culled her sister and slit her neck since I've heard this is the most humane. It took her FOREVER to bleed out and she was conscious the whole time. I think I may not have severed the artery as well as I thought I did. I don't know after her I couldn't do another one...)
My husband will be home in 2 weeks he needs to deal with it if she doesn't start getting better.
I tried duramycin 10 in water, ocytetracycline injections, then after a break from that Tylan 50 injections.
She's eating and moving around (though hobbling now since I think I knicked a nerve on injection).
The face swelling went down, the eyes cleared up, and the color came back to comb and wattles.
But there is still clear mucous coming out of the nose and if you get close, she still stinks....

Ya know... it is VERY possible that your older birds are the carriers....adding new birds, a stressful thing for them, could have triggered it. Just a thought...........

Ya know... it is VERY possible that your older birds are the carriers....adding new birds, a stressful thing for them, could have triggered it. Just a thought...........
x2 the stress on the new birds would have made them weaker to what the your old birds already had, and the stress of new birds would have made some of your old ones relapse

I don't know, they've never been sick before.
And I've added chicks several times.
The new birds were in a separate pen and the new birds had symptoms almost a week before the originals in the pen with the older ones.
I'm almost positive it came from the red sex links from the auction.
I've had a lot of stressful incidents with other animals, and dogs getting into my pen on multiple occassions and killing two. And no one ever got sick until these new ones came to the property.

Anyway, I've got a question on adding new chicks. Not doing anything now, but probably this Fall when everything calms down from summer I'm letting my kids each get a barred rock chick to replace the ones they lost and my husband wants a RIR. How does this work with the other birds. As long as they are healthy at the time, the chicks won't get sick? Then if for some reason the adults do get sick, the chicks will as well?

Back
Top Bottom