North Carolina

By the way, these were the first chickens I ever brought in from an auction or flock swap or anything like that.
The rest of the chicks were day old hatchery chicks from reputable hatcheries.
I don't know when they could have been exposed to even be carriers/

So I have been taking day about turning my Americana's/ Aracana's EE's and my buffs free range, while I am home. Today I bit the bullet with hubby and GS in the near vicinity I turned them all loose. They are doing great! One of my Buffs, Marigold, follows me like a little pup when I am out there and the EE's always run to see if I have treats, Marigold ran to me and Prissilla pecked her. I fussed at Prissilla, so the only time there is a problem is when I am out there and they are jealous.
I also have a Buff that is broody so I have a question. Will she get off that nest if she is hungry or thirsty? It is so hot for her to stay in there all the time.
I have been reading and trying to keep up just so busy, no time to even 'chat'! I was over whelmed with the bunny cuteness!

So I have been taking day about turning my Americana's/ Aracana's EE's and my buffs free range, while I am home. Today I bit the bullet with hubby and GS in the near vicinity I turned them all loose. They are doing great! One of my Buffs, Marigold, follows me like a little pup when I am out there and the EE's always run to see if I have treats, Marigold ran to me and Prissilla pecked her. I fussed at Prissilla, so the only time there is a problem is when I am out there and they are jealous.
I also have a Buff that is broody so I have a question. Will she get off that nest if she is hungry or thirsty? It is so hot for her to stay in there all the time.
I have been reading and trying to keep up just so busy, no time to even 'chat'! I was over whelmed with the bunny cuteness!

Mine get up and eat and drink until it's close to hatch time, then they will not move.

Jackson County here
wee.gif

Hello fellow NCers! Do you all welcome crossover from other forum topics? I hope so! if not, my apologies! I am new to this and would appreciate your advice and experience. I have an injured pullet. I am not sure what happened. I saw her limping and picked her up. Her foot is swollen, green, and disfigured. I am guessing it is broken. Is there anything I can do?

I don't know, they've never been sick before.
And I've added chicks several times.
The new birds were in a separate pen and the new birds had symptoms almost a week before the originals in the pen with the older ones.
I'm almost positive it came from the red sex links from the auction.
I've had a lot of stressful incidents with other animals, and dogs getting into my pen on multiple occassions and killing two. And no one ever got sick until these new ones came to the property.

Anyway, I've got a question on adding new chicks. Not doing anything now, but probably this Fall when everything calms down from summer I'm letting my kids each get a barred rock chick to replace the ones they lost and my husband wants a RIR. How does this work with the other birds. As long as they are healthy at the time, the chicks won't get sick? Then if for some reason the adults do get sick, the chicks will as well?

If this is Corzya....it is FOREVER ! You should not be adding birds to your flock or removing any from your property. It is highly contagious. Your options are a closed flock...none in..none out ! OR Cull.....wait and start over.

I know neither of these are good options....but they are the truth.
sad.png

I don't know, they've never been sick before. And I've added chicks several times. The new birds were in a separate pen and the new birds had symptoms almost a week before the originals in the pen with the older ones. I'm almost positive it came from the red sex links from the auction. I've had a lot of stressful incidents with other animals, and dogs getting into my pen on multiple occassions and killing two. And no one ever got sick until these new ones came to the property. Anyway, I've got a question on adding new chicks. Not doing anything now, but probably this Fall when everything calms down from summer I'm letting my kids each get a barred rock chick to replace the ones they lost and my husband wants a RIR. How does this work with the other birds. As long as they are healthy at the time, the chicks won't get sick? Then if for some reason the adults do get sick, the chicks will as well?
If this is Corzya....it is FOREVER ! You should not be adding birds to your flock or removing any from your property. It is highly contagious. Your options are a closed flock...none in..none out ! OR Cull.....wait and start over. I know neither of these are good options....but they are the truth. :(
X2 Hard to say and hard to hear.

Back
Top Bottom