North Carolina

Wow Toto, we definitely aren't in NY anymore. Do people actually EAT squirrel? I thought you could only do that if you were wearing a coon skin hat and holding a cane pole.
tongue.png
No offense, but I have to nugle you southern country people. Wish we lived closer, my husband would probably love some. Congrats on the new baby, makes me wish for another (until my son wakes up).
Actually the eating of wild game is EVERYWHERE and the first time
I got the chance to try wild game was when we lived in Michigan.
Many of the north east states are very good about eating
not only squirrel but also beaver, bear, deer, raccoon, opossum
and porcupine. Then there is quite the variety of birds and fish
and let us not forget turtle......quite tasty and I for one am glad
I got to try many of these. It's just not a southern thing and really
has nothing to do with coon skin caps or cane poles.
wink.png

Not trying to stomp on toes but just to let everyone know it's
not just in the south you find wonderful rural folks who know
what nature has to offer
big_smile.png

My husband is an avid hunter, and we eat everything he kills. I can't say we've ventured into opossum or porcupine, but we've got most everything else in our freezer now - if not now, we have had it. This is why I would like to {eventually} be in a place where we can have meat birds - then you know where your meat is coming from. We RARELY eat beef, and when we do it comes from our family farm in Ohio. Chicken is the only meat we buy at the store. We're originally from Ohio, and now NC -- we eat what we kill
big_smile.png

Hello fellow NCers! Do you all welcome crossover from other forum topics? I hope so! if not, my apologies! I am new to this and would appreciate your advice and experience. I have an injured pullet. I am not sure what happened. I saw her limping and picked her up. Her foot is swollen, green, and disfigured. I am guessing it is broken. Is there anything I can do?
The picture of the foot looks like a bruised foot with a broken toe at least.
It's hard to tell if the foot is broken. There is link on BYC on how
to make a boot for the foot and that may address a broken foot.
I really don't know much about helping the foot but you will need
to watch for bumble foot. Good luck

Last edited:
Actually the eating of wild game is EVERYWHERE and the first time
I got the chance to try wild game was when we lived in Michigan.
Many of the north east states are very good about eating
not only squirrel but also beaver, bear, deer, raccoon, opossum
and porcupine. Then there is quite the variety of birds and fish
and let us not forget turtle......quite tasty and I for one am glad
I got to try many of these. It's just not a southern thing and really
has nothing to do with coon skin caps or cane poles.
wink.png

Not trying to stomp on toes but just to let everyone know it's
not just in the south you find wonderful rural folks who know
what nature has to offer
big_smile.png
Don't forget frog legs or alligator gar fish! Coon skin hats are too hot for my part of NC
lau.gif
My GF is from NY and thinks I'm odd too, I just think it's all that smog in the city yall yankees get!

Hello fellow NCers! Do you all welcome crossover from other forum topics? I hope so! if not, my apologies! I am new to this and would appreciate your advice and experience. I have an injured pullet. I am not sure what happened. I saw her limping and picked her up. Her foot is swollen, green, and disfigured. I am guessing it is broken. Is there anything I can do?

The picture of the foot looks like a bruised foot with a broken toe at least.
It's hard to tell if the foot is broken. There is link on BYC on how
to make a boot for the foot and that may address a broken foot.
I really don't know much about helping the foot but you will need
to watch for bumble foot. Good luck
If you haven't already she needs to be isolated so that she can not move around too much. It seems that foot/leg injuries take a while to heal. We have one inside now that was limping, she's going on a month in the "infirmary", with limited outside visits. I think she has decided to be a house chicken.

Wow Toto, we definitely aren't in NY anymore. Do people actually EAT squirrel? I thought you could only do that if you were wearing a coon skin hat and holding a cane pole.
tongue.png
No offense, but I have to nugle you southern country people. Wish we lived closer, my husband would probably love some. Congrats on the new baby, makes me wish for another (until my son wakes up).
[COLOR=008000]Actually the eating of wild game is EVERYWHERE and the first time[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]I got the chance to try wild game was when we lived in Michigan.[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]Many of the north east states are very good about eating[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]not only squirrel but also beaver, bear, deer, raccoon, opossum[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]and porcupine. Then there is quite the variety of birds and fish[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]and let[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]us not forget turtle......quite tasty and I for one am glad[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]I got to[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]try many of these. It's just not a southern thing and really[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]has nothing to do with coon skin caps or cane poles. ;) [/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]Not trying to stomp on toes but just to let everyone know it's[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]not just in the south you find wonderful rural folks who know[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]what nature has to offer :D [/COLOR]
CSB...Best response to __________... Ever!

Happy Thursday everyone. I'm late getting going this morning. Thank goodness there is only about a wk of school left. I am drained fighting with children to try and get them ready. Every morning is a fight around here and it just pure wears me out! Anyway, hope everyone has a great up coming wkend.

Dutch, so sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your birds. I really hope that things get better for you.

I need some help with a sick 1 yr. EE who is having trouble laying and pooping green and yellow poop. The yellow looks like egg. She has been having trouble for 3 weeks now. She has laid only 2 eggs, rough ones with calcium deposits. She would get in the nest boxes and try to lay but the others had to get in the same box too and pecking at her to get out. There are 6 hens and 4 boxes but they all have to use the same one. Tues. she just laid around while I was home, didn't see her eat or drink. She was able to move around because she perched on the highest roost that night in the run. When I got her out of the coop she could hardly move yesterday. Last week she had oyster shell in her poop. She ate a little yougart and water with Sav-a- Chic in it last night and just a little this morning gave her some poly- v- sol and B complex. She can't stand but walks around squating. I also soaked her in a warm bath. Anybody know what this could be and what to do? I don't have any medicines on hand and with working can't go to TSC until the weekend. We have no feed store nearby that sells medical stuff. I hope I can save her. She was a late layer, just started laying in the late winter early spring her 2 sisters were laying in Nov.- Dec.

Back
Top Bottom