North Carolina

Don't forget frog legs or alligator gar fish! Coon skin hats are too hot for my part of NC
lau.gif
My GF is from NY and thinks I'm odd too, I just think it's all that smog in the city yall yankees get!
I used to go frog gigging with my dad when I was little.....
old.gif
and watch the frog legs jump around the pan when my momma fried them up...
ep.gif

tasted almost like chicken.... dark meat.
wink.png

I need some help with a sick 1 yr. EE who is having trouble laying and pooping green and yellow poop. The yellow looks like egg. She has been having trouble for 3 weeks now. She has laid only 2 eggs, rough ones with calcium deposits. She would get in the nest boxes and try to lay but the others had to get in the same box too and pecking at her to get out. There are 6 hens and 4 boxes but they all have to use the same one. Tues. she just laid around while I was home, didn't see her eat or drink. She was able to move around because she perched on the highest roost that night in the run. When I got her out of the coop she could hardly move yesterday. Last week she had oyster shell in her poop. She ate a little yougart and water with Sav-a- Chic in it last night and just a little this morning gave her some poly- v- sol and B complex. She can't stand but walks around squating. I also soaked her in a warm bath. Anybody know what this could be and what to do? I don't have any medicines on hand and with working can't go to TSC until the weekend. We have no feed store nearby that sells medical stuff. I hope I can save her. She was a late layer, just started laying in the late winter early spring her 2 sisters were laying in Nov.- Dec.
It sounds like she might be egg bound.
hmm.png

I dealt with this a couple of weeks ago.... from what I researched she needs calcium.... all I had on hand was tums/w calcium... I gave her tums water and fed her scrambled eggs with crushed tums, yogurt and the shell crushed up very good. The calcium is supposed to help her pass the egg. You need to soak her bottom in warm water for 30 minutes. We did that while massaging the egg towards the vent.... do not push up into her body as it might damage her organs.... you should be able to feel the egg... grasp from the sides and massage it towards her rear end.

Anyways... none of that worked for us... we even tried to suck the inside of the egg out by poking a needle in the egg... FAIL
Hubby had to tap the egg with a hammer and bust it inside and we put her on antibiotics (tylan 50) for 4 days.... and prayed for the best.
She has since passed the egg fragments and is back outside.... doing well.

I need some help with a sick 1 yr. EE who is having trouble laying and pooping green and yellow poop. The yellow looks like egg. She has been having trouble for 3 weeks now. She has laid only 2 eggs, rough ones with calcium deposits. She would get in the nest boxes and try to lay but the others had to get in the same box too and pecking at her to get out. There are 6 hens and 4 boxes but they all have to use the same one. Tues. she just laid around while I was home, didn't see her eat or drink. She was able to move around because she perched on the highest roost that night in the run. When I got her out of the coop she could hardly move yesterday. Last week she had oyster shell in her poop. She ate a little yougart and water with Sav-a- Chic in it last night and just a little this morning gave her some poly- v- sol and B complex. She can't stand but walks around squating. I also soaked her in a warm bath. Anybody know what this could be and what to do? I don't have any medicines on hand and with working can't go to TSC until the weekend. We have no feed store nearby that sells medical stuff. I hope I can save her. She was a late layer, just started laying in the late winter early spring her 2 sisters were laying in Nov.- Dec.
I'm with Mary, it sounds like she is egg bound. I've even heard of people using a steam bath on their birds to help. Hope you get it straightened out and she does better.

[COLOR=008000]..what your birds have can not be cured and you run the risk[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]of infecting birds anywhere you go as you too could carry the disease on your[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]clothing, shoes, body, and objects like car tires etc. That is one reason everyone[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]is encouraging culling your flock.[/COLOR]
This is a point of view I never thought about. Excellent point of view.

Last edited:
Here's a good concise source for information on Infectious laryngotracheitis (ILT). http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AvianHealth/Docs/iltfactsheet.pdf

According to this, it is spread both through contact with contaminated surfaces and is also airborne for up to 0.3 miles. That will make it easy to spread! This also reports the recombinant vaccine as providing coverage for 60 weeks.

This looks like another nasty. There are apparently no treatments, and it creates carriers. The ethical thing to do is to destroy the infected flock, in my opinion.
After speaking to the state vet yesterday, this is only airborne in the right conditions, It would have to be VERY windy to MAYBE travel 0.3 miles which is actually less than 2,000 ft. The state vet rep that I spoke to said that because I don't live anywhere near a commercial poultry operation, and my closest chicken owning neighbors live over 2,000ft from me, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to cull my flock. The new recombinant MD/ILT vaccine gives immunity for life, the old recombinant-ILT which used a Turkey herpesvirus carrier only gave them immunity for 60 days.

This virus does indeed create carriers, it is a herpesvirus and the carriers are much like those of us who once had chickenpox. The carriers will only become active when they are severely stressed, this is why you don't take birds with a history of ILT to shows. There is no transmission to the chick through the egg and when the recombinant ILT/MD vaccine is given to the uninfected offspring of carriers, said offspring has lifelong, non-shedding immunity.

Remember, my birds got this from somewhere. I haven't brought new birds onto the property and I don't live within sneezing distance of any other chickens. Once my birds are recovered, they will not leave the property and any bird coming onto or born on the property will be vaccinated and then quarantined.

No need to cull.

I think it's Coryza, but I'm not an expert.
I don't know.
The older ones never got symptoms, possibly exposed before or higher immune system?
I culled them all besides the 4 older ones who weren't sick and this one barred rock I can't bring myself to do. (I culled her sister and slit her neck since I've heard this is the most humane. It took her FOREVER to bleed out and she was conscious the whole time. I think I may not have severed the artery as well as I thought I did. I don't know after her I couldn't do another one...)
My husband will be home in 2 weeks he needs to deal with it if she doesn't start getting better.
I tried duramycin 10 in water, ocytetracycline injections, then after a break from that Tylan 50 injections.
She's eating and moving around (though hobbling now since I think I knicked a nerve on injection).
The face swelling went down, the eyes cleared up, and the color came back to comb and wattles.
But there is still clear mucous coming out of the nose and if you get close, she still stinks....
Before you go killing your birds, switch to a sulfa drug like SMZ-TMP. Also, call the state vet, Dr. Mason and let them know what you suspect (919-733-7601), Ask them if you can bring or ship them samples and then ask about the vaccine, which you can give to any new birds coming onto your property. Coryza is actually caused by a bacterium and until you have a positive diagnosis by a lab, you don't know that that is what you have. All of these illnesses, Newcastles, ILT, AI, pollorum, aspergillosis, fowl pox, they all have very similar symptoms. I don't know where you live but if there's any way I can help you get a good sample, please PM me.

Oh.... someone told me on here a few days ago I could always add I just couldn't give any away
sad.png

Actually the eating of wild game is EVERYWHERE and the first time
I got the chance to try wild game was when we lived in Michigan.
Many of the north east states are very good about eating
not only squirrel but also beaver, bear, deer, raccoon, opossum
and porcupine. Then there is quite the variety of birds and fish
and let us not forget turtle......quite tasty and I for one am glad
I got to try many of these. It's just not a southern thing and really
has nothing to do with coon skin caps or cane poles.
wink.png

Not trying to stomp on toes but just to let everyone know it's
not just in the south you find wonderful rural folks who know
what nature has to offer
big_smile.png
I am actually from a very, very rural area where people do occasionally kill what they eat. I was just making a joke (Ha, Ha?). I have actually eaten my share of wild game. If he had been talking about being from Texas, I may have made a crack about guns or something. I try not to take myself or anyone else too seriously. I really support the locovore movement and enjoy trying new things.
Don't forget frog legs or alligator gar fish! Coon skin hats are too hot for my part of NC
lau.gif
My GF is from NY and thinks I'm odd too, I just think it's all that smog in the city yall yankees get!
Why is it that anyone who is not from NY has this idea that NY State is one, giant, contiguous city? Did you know that NY is one of the largest apple producers in the nation? I am a mountain girl at heart. And I don't really like frog legs, too fishy for me, I have never tried Alligator Gar, but I have caught them, and I have eaten gator (again, too fishy for me). But I don't believe in the fur trade, if I were to wear a coon skin hat in NY (where the weather is more conducive to that) I would have to kill the coon myself, but since I'm a Buddhist, I really think that wool is the way to go.
CSB...Best response to __________... Ever!
Touchy? or is it just me you have a problem with? Come on, its more fun to laugh at yourself than to let other people get under your skin. I meant no offense, it was just a little chiding of the new dad.
hugs.gif

I used to go frog gigging with my dad when I was little.....
old.gif
and watch the frog legs jump around the pan when my momma fried them up...
ep.gif

tasted almost like chicken.... dark meat.
wink.png
No, just too fishy for me, I've tried it a few times and I just would rather tofu. If I were starving, there are some frogs in my pond that wouldn't last long, though.

This is a point of view I never thought about. Excellent point of view.
Dutchbunny, You only run that risk if the infection is active. You should follow sterile procedure when dealing with the sick birds. Isolate them, and have a separate outfit for working with them. Use a long sleeve, button up shirt, scrub pants are great to put over your regular pants, have a separate pair of shoes or use disposable booties. Use gloves and then wash hands for at least 20 sec. after taking gloves off. Keep a bottle of bleach in the isolation room, bleach everything that you use in that room and bleach your gloves every 20 minutes. Spray bleach into and onto the trash bag and when you take the trash out, triple bag it, bleaching each subsequent bag, put it right into the back of your car or truck and take it to a dumpster (for example, if there is a dumpster at work). Be conscious of everything that you touch and bleach it all.

But really, you need to take her to a vet or get samples to the state lab, instead of trying to guess. The only way you'll know for sure is with a laboratory diagnosis. I'm not trying to shoot down all of the other advice you are being given, but I tried to diagnose what my birds had myself and there are too many illnesses that mimic each other, its mind boggling, I was so stressed and confused. I'm not wealthy and thank goodness for care credit, but for about $100, the peace of mind was priceless. Having a concrete diagnosis and advice from a poultry vet will unbind that knot that I know you have in your stomach right now.

Here's a good concise source for information on Infectious laryngotracheitis (ILT). http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AvianHealth/Docs/iltfactsheet.pdf According to this, it is spread both through contact with contaminated surfaces and is also airborne for up to 0.3 miles. That will make it easy to spread! This also reports the recombinant vaccine as providing coverage for 60 weeks. This looks like another nasty. There are apparently no treatments, and it creates carriers. The ethical thing to do is to destroy the infected flock, in my opinion.
After speaking to the state vet yesterday, this is only airborne in the right conditions, It would have to be VERY windy to MAYBE travel 0.3 miles which is actually less than 2,000 ft. The state vet rep that I spoke to said that because I don't live anywhere near a commercial poultry operation, and my closest chicken owning neighbors live over 2,000ft from me, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to cull my flock. The new recombinant MD/ILT vaccine gives immunity for life, the old recombinant-ILT which used a Turkey herpesvirus carrier only gave them immunity for 60 days. This virus does indeed create carriers, it is a herpesvirus and the carriers are much like those of us who once had chickenpox. The carriers will only become active when they are severely stressed, this is why you don't take birds with a history of ILT to shows. There is no transmission to the chick through the egg and when the recombinant ILT/MD vaccine is given to the uninfected offspring of carriers, said offspring has lifelong, non-shedding immunity. Remember, my birds got this from somewhere. I haven't brought new birds onto the property and I don't live within sneezing distance of any other chickens. Once my birds are recovered, they will not leave the property and any bird coming onto or born on the property will be vaccinated and then quarantined. No need to cull. The "right conditions" being outside of someone's control means that the extremes must be provided for.
I think it's Coryza, but I'm not an expert. I don't know. The older ones never got symptoms, possibly exposed before or higher immune system? I culled them all besides the 4 older ones who weren't sick and this one barred rock I can't bring myself to do. (I culled her sister and slit her neck since I've heard this is the most humane. It took her FOREVER to bleed out and she was conscious the whole time. I think I may not have severed the artery as well as I thought I did. I don't know after her I couldn't do another one...) My husband will be home in 2 weeks he needs to deal with it if she doesn't start getting better. I tried duramycin 10 in water, ocytetracycline injections, then after a break from that Tylan 50 injections. She's eating and moving around (though hobbling now since I think I knicked a nerve on injection). The face swelling went down, the eyes cleared up, and the color came back to comb and wattles. But there is still clear mucous coming out of the nose and if you get close, she still stinks....
Before you go killing your birds, switch to a sulfa drug like SMZ-TMP. Also, call the state vet, Dr. Mason and let them know what you suspect (919-733-7601), Ask them if you can bring or ship them samples and then ask about the vaccine, which you can give to any new birds coming onto your property. Coryza is actually caused by a bacterium and until you have a positive diagnosis by a lab, you don't know that that is what you have. All of these illnesses, Newcastles, ILT, AI, pollorum, aspergillosis, fowl pox, they all have very similar symptoms. I don't know where you live but if there's any way I can help you get a good sample, please PM me.
Oh.... someone told me on here a few days ago I could always add I just couldn't give any away
sad.png
Agreed, diagnosis is always best. That was suggested several times at the onset of this.
[COLOR=008000]Actually the eating of wild game is EVERYWHERE and the first time[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]I got the chance to try wild game was when we lived in Michigan.[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]Many of the north east states are very good about eating[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]not only squirrel but also beaver, bear, deer, raccoon, opossum[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]and porcupine. Then there is quite the variety of birds and fish[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]and let[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]us not forget turtle......quite tasty and I for one am glad[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]I got to[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]try many of these. It's just not a southern thing and really[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]has nothing to do with coon skin caps or cane poles. ;) [/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]Not trying to stomp on toes but just to let everyone know it's[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]not just in the south you find wonderful rural folks who know[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]what nature has to offer :D [/COLOR]
I am actually from a very, very rural area where people do occasionally kill what they eat. I was just making a joke (Ha, Ha?). I have actually eaten my share of wild game. If he had been talking about being from Texas, I may have made a crack about guns or something. I try not to take myself or anyone else too seriously. I really support the locovore movement and enjoy trying new things.
Don't forget frog legs or alligator gar fish! Coon skin hats are too hot for my part of NC :lau My GF is from NY and thinks I'm odd too, I just think it's all that smog in the city yall yankees get!
Why is it that anyone who is not from NY has this idea that NY State is one, giant, contiguous city? Did you know that NY is one of the largest apple producers in the nation? I am a mountain girl at heart. And I don't really like frog legs, too fishy for me, I have never tried Alligator Gar, but I have caught them, and I have eaten gator (again, too fishy for me). But I don't believe in the fur trade, if I were to wear a coon skin hat in NY (where the weather is more conducive to that) I would have to kill the coon myself, but since I'm a Buddhist, I really think that wool is the way to go.
CSB...Best response to __________... Ever!
Touchy? or is it just me you have a problem with? Come on, its more fun to laugh at yourself than to let other people get under your skin. I meant no offense, it was just a little chiding of the new dad.
hugs.gif
. I don't like insults couched as humor. Especially when followed by, "I meant no offense". That usually means, "I did mean offense, but I didn't think you were smart enough to notice." But I must admit, also touchy lately, since there have been several instances of people bashing Southerners. You were just the proverbial straw for me. I have ordered myself to grow a thicker skin on that one, since it's not going away. We'll see how well I listen to myself.
I used to go frog gigging with my dad when I was little.....:old and watch the frog legs jump around the pan when my momma fried them up...:eek: tasted almost like chicken.... dark meat. ;)
No, just too fishy for me, I've tried it a few times and I just would rather tofu. If I were starving, there are some frogs in my pond that wouldn't last long, though.
All these multi-quotes are difficult to divide up on an iPad, so I'm just going to let them be. Edited to add... I would really like some data on the ILT. All of the research I can find support the article I quoted above, although I did find one hoping to show life-long immunity. Results were not in, as that one was on-going. Can you give links to the research for me?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom