North Carolina

Fowl pox. Spread by mosquito. It will run through your flock, each bird will have it for approx. 2 weeks. So it could take a while to run through.

Bad news.. no medication can cure it. Give electrolytes in water to reduce stress and boost vitamins. Watch for secondary infection and pox in the mouth or eyes. You may need to pick them off or out of the mouth.
Good news... after this they SHOULD be immune or IF it reoccurs should be very mild. Low mortality rate.

Its called fowl pox and comes in wet or dry, I have never dealt with it but it's spread by mosquitos. It is very contagious, and is one that has to run its course. Hopefully smeone else will come on and say for sure.

Hmmm. Initial research says there's no way to prevent the spread. I would have to figure something out for quarantin if it would help. (And the coop is locked for the night.)

We don't have the dark lesions yet, but it looks like it could progress.

*sigh*

Thanks for the lead. All the bugs have been brutal this year.

Fowl pox.  Spread by mosquito. It will run through your flock, each bird will have it for approx. 2 weeks.  So it could take a while to run through.

Bad news.. no medication can cure it. Give electrolytes in water to reduce stress and boost vitamins.  Watch for secondary infection and pox in the mouth or eyes. You may need to pick them off or out of the mouth.
    Good news... after this they SHOULD be immune or IF it reoccurs should be very mild.  Low mortality rate.

Thank you. Any chance they won't all get it since they free range all day? My bantams sleep seperately than my LF.

Thank you. Any chance they won't all get it since they free range all day? My bantams sleep seperately than my LF.

Quote:
Quarantine will not help. It is spread by the mosquitoes and then through feeder & water-ers. Some may get it worse then other. Basically like chicken pox in human.
The infected mosquitoes can travel 3-5 miles, I believe.

Right. Well, so long as it's not the wet form, this, too, shall pass, and probably without consequence. Darn biting bugs!
It will pass...
hugs.gif

I am so, so heartbroken. A stray or neighbors dog (not sure since we did not get a close view of it) killed the overwhelming majority of my flock today. At first we could not find any then found 3 alive in the woods. I did have 23. :( My silkie and my favorite are gone. I cannot find any signs of 5 of them. I was going to give up on keeping chickens but decided that wouldn't be fair to the ones that made it especially after what they have been though. I am going to further preditor proof my coop. I am practically starting over. This is so hard.

I am so, so heartbroken. A stray or neighbors dog (not sure since we did not get a close view of it) killed the overwhelming majority of my flock today. At first we could not find any then found 3 alive in the woods. I did have 23. :( My silkie and my favorite are gone. I cannot find any signs of 5 of them. I was going to give up on keeping chickens but decided that wouldn't be fair to the ones that made it especially after what they have been though. I am going to further preditor proof my coop. I am practically starting over. This is so hard.

HUGS!!! Been there.....I know how you feel!

I am so, so heartbroken. A stray or neighbors dog (not sure since we did not get a close view of it) killed the overwhelming majority of my flock today. At first we could not find any then found 3 alive in the woods. I did have 23.
sad.png
My silkie and my favorite are gone. I cannot find any signs of 5 of them. I was going to give up on keeping chickens but decided that wouldn't be fair to the ones that made it especially after what they have been though. I am going to further preditor proof my coop. I am practically starting over. This is so hard.

so so sorry
hugs.gif

I can let you have some eggs to help rebuild
.......you will need to incubate them.

Back
Top Bottom