North Carolina

Greetings from Carteret County, NC. Coastal gal with a coop who is excited to join the backyard chicken family. Considering easter eggers and Ameraucana, although am open to suggestions for sure!! The Amber Star Hybrid seems pretty cool, too. Looking for egg layers. 

Kids want to get chicks, but I am wondering if it would be better to get several week old chickens instead. Is there any benefit to getting them as chicks? 

Thanks! 
Monica

I prefer chicks. I love being able to bond and get to know everything I can about them personally.

Things to think about for breeds- what color eggs? What size? Do well confined or better free ranged? Cold or heat tolerant? Dual purpose breeds?

Unles you get either Araucana or Ameraucana from a reputable breeder, you will have Easter Eggers (especially if they come from a hatchery)

The temperment and body are important, especially if they are in a backyard in town. Very flighty breeds can be difficult to contain if you let them out of the run because they will fly all over.

Welcome to chickens! They're only slightly addicting. ;)

Happy New Years Eve everyone!!!
I was so disappointed to find out the fireworks/concert in Festival Park aren't going on anymore so had to search for a last minute NYE event with the kids.  Myrtle Beach is having some crazy hotel deals on priceline to fill rooms that are still open.  We scooped up a 3 1/2 star resort for $47 so headed down there!  Hope everyone has a great night!!!

Oh, I'm up to 73 hatched quail this morning, though I've lost 3 of them and 1 more isn't looking too great.  There's still a few possible eggs in there, but not sure, I think I'm about done hatching (though every time I think that more pop out haha).  I've had to open the incubator quite a few times at this point because the original hatches needed to come out and go into the brooder they were picking on the new hatches.

Angela-- pretty birds!!!  Good to see you on here again :)

PS-  And once again I came home to find DH conveniently didn't process these 2 roo's again!!!  I think he has gotten attached

:thumbsup

Greetings from Carteret County, NC. Coastal gal with a coop who is excited to join the backyard chicken family. Considering easter eggers and Ameraucana, although am open to suggestions for sure!! The Amber Star Hybrid seems pretty cool, too. Looking for egg layers.

Kids want to get chicks, but I am wondering if it would be better to get several week old chickens instead. Is there any benefit to getting them as chicks?

Thanks!
Monica
I'm in Carteret too. I live in Bettie. I have EE's and Ameraucanas, usually have some for sale. I could also hatch some chicks for you if you like (I have a small incubator addiction which I have completely under control). I love the EE's that Heidi sells at Newport Garden Center too. She calls them Aracoonas and I manage to keep a straight face when she does.
tongue.png

Good morning folks
frow.gif

a bit late today for me but have been taking advantage
of the mornings to sleep in a bit and to some things done.
Someone shared their cold bug with me and it has left me
a bit slow in getting up in the mornings.........and now poor
DH has it too.........guess I shared with him......leaf blowing
is today's agenda
cool.png

hope everyone has a good day
caf.gif

I wonder who shared...I had fever all night and feel run down today.
th.gif

Thanks!
Monica
Hi Monica,
I'm pretty new at this (our 6 girls are about a year old now) but I was told it was better to get them as young as you can and to hold them as much as you can. We got our two batches 6 weeks apart and they were a few days old and a week old. When my kids walk the dog along this one-mile loop, my daughter often will carry one of the hens with her (while brother holds the leash for the dog). Getting them this time of year was kind of a pain, in my opinion, because we had to keep them in the garage for a lot longer than we would have had to with warmer weather. But it also gave us easier access to them even when it was rainy. My four kids love the chickens! They have learned a lot about caring for animals between the chickens and the dogs and it has been a wonderful learning experience for all of us "city" folks ;-)

I prefer chicks. I love being able to bond and get to know everything I can about them personally.

Things to think about for breeds- what color eggs? What size? Do well confined or better free ranged? Cold or heat tolerant? Dual purpose breeds?

Unles you get either Araucana or Ameraucana from a reputable breeder, you will have Easter Eggers (especially if they come from a hatchery)

The temperment and body are important, especially if they are in a backyard in town. Very flighty breeds can be difficult to contain if you let them out of the run because they will fly all over.

Welcome to chickens! They're only slightly addicting. ;)

I think everyone is telling you to really read all you can and ask all the questions you can..check things out withyour neighbors and local laws..this BYC has the best forums! I have learned a lot! Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom