North Carolina

I'm not sure what color you would call "Liza"...? Any thoughts on which rooster could be her dad? I know very little about chicken genetics so any help is appreciated! :)
Angela

Zippy, Ameracauna roo - possible dad?

Elvis, d'uccle roo - possible dad?

Liza - "whose my daddy?"

Liza - "can you help me find my daddy?"
She looks kinda wheaten (lacking a little black in the tail) I don't think silkies come in wheaten, but they do come in partridge or buff (would need a picture of that silkie hen) Could you get a good close up of her comb? I think her dad might be Zippy.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

a bit late today for me but have been taking advantage
of the mornings to sleep in a bit and to some things done.
Someone shared their cold bug with me and it has left me
a bit slow in getting up in the mornings.........and now poor
DH has it too.........guess I shared with him......leaf blowing
is today's agenda
cool.png

hope everyone has a good day
caf.gif

Happy New Year NC peeps!

Because one can never have enough birds, I'm thinking of building a small pigeon house onto the side of my coop this spring. Anyone know of any pigeon breeders in NC? Preferrably in the NW corner of the state?

Greetings from Carteret County, NC. Coastal gal with a coop who is excited to join the backyard chicken family. Considering easter eggers and Ameraucana, although am open to suggestions for sure!! The Amber Star Hybrid seems pretty cool, too. Looking for egg layers.

Kids want to get chicks, but I am wondering if it would be better to get several week old chickens instead. Is there any benefit to getting them as chicks?

Thanks!
Monica

Greetings from Carteret County, NC. Coastal gal with a coop who is excited to join the backyard chicken family. Considering easter eggers and Ameraucana, although am open to suggestions for sure!! The Amber Star Hybrid seems pretty cool, too. Looking for egg layers.

Kids want to get chicks, but I am wondering if it would be better to get several week old chickens instead. Is there any benefit to getting them as chicks?

Thanks!
Monica
The best way to figure out what age is to decide what you want first.
Do you want eggs right away or watch chicks grow up? For us we started
out with chicks but I would have done hens if I started again and just
hatched chicks later to add to the flock. Either way the kids will get a kick
out of it........just keep in mind chicks can/will die for no reason and you
are bound to lose some along the way.

Happy New Years Eve everyone!!!
I was so disappointed to find out the fireworks/concert in Festival Park aren't going on anymore so had to search for a last minute NYE event with the kids. Myrtle Beach is having some crazy hotel deals on priceline to fill rooms that are still open. We scooped up a 3 1/2 star resort for $47 so headed down there! Hope everyone has a great night!!!

Oh, I'm up to 73 hatched quail this morning, though I've lost 3 of them and 1 more isn't looking too great. There's still a few possible eggs in there, but not sure, I think I'm about done hatching (though every time I think that more pop out haha). I've had to open the incubator quite a few times at this point because the original hatches needed to come out and go into the brooder they were picking on the new hatches.

Angela-- pretty birds!!! Good to see you on here again :)

PS- And once again I came home to find DH conveniently didn't process these 2 roo's again!!! I think he has gotten attached

Last edited:
She looks kinda wheaten (lacking a little black in the tail) I don't think silkies come in wheaten, but they do come in partridge or buff (would need a picture of that silkie hen) Could you get a good close up of her comb? I think her dad might be Zippy.

You are right, my mistake. I meant that one of the silkies is partridge and you can see some brown on the back of her neck. I can certainly get a good pic of Liza's comb and the silkies. She does have some dark color in her tail - like a dark grey or light black. In fact, for a while, her poof on her head was kind of grey.

I will post the pics this afternoon! Thanks for taking the time to look.
Angela

I agree with Boogie.....I decided to go with young pullets (4mo..not laying). I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with the babies as the whole chicken thing was new to me and I knew I didn't want roosters right away.. again due to hatching/ health/ death being so unpredictable. I wanted hens to lay eggs and later maybe do the chick thing after Ilearned more. Will do the same thing again this spring. No regrets

Back
Top Bottom