North Carolina

What do I need to do to legally sell eggs here?
Eggs

Farmers wishing to sell eggs should be familiar with the North Carolina Egg Law. The Egg Law addresses labeling, standards, invoices, advertisement, displays, sanitation, and marketing.
Eggs that are for sale must be clean (not necessarily washed, but clean).
Anyone selling more than 30 dozen eggs per week must grade the eggs and label cartons with the grade. Eggs are graded based on federal quality standards. See the United States Standards, Grades, and Weight Classes for Shell Eggs for guidelines.
The eggs must be refrigerated to 45° F or less after gathering. Do not allow them to freeze.

http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-meatandeggs/

There is a link you can follow on the NC extension office page for more info. If you sell less than 30 dozen then you don't fall under these guidelines.

Last edited:
Google "north Carolina Egg Law". I'd link you, but it's hard on my iPad.

You can sell up to 30 dozen a week without grading. All eggs must be properly labeled, with name/Farm name, address, phone number and the word "ungraded". The letters have size requirements, but I don't remember the specifics. I know mine is bigger, but don't remember how much. You can reuse clean cartons. This holds for eggs you give away, too. I doubt anyone will hunt you down unless your eggs make someone sick, but if that happens it's best to have all your ducks in a row. Plus, we have had people call about getting eggs because someone shared with them and they got the carton. Most of my regular customers return the cartons, because they know doing so keeps costs down.

Right now I'm using cartons from a local feed store which is stamped with his info. Heh. I have no problem ordering my own, but it's the taxes/business licence I'm concerned about.

And while I'm at it- I was told that if ypu have chickens regardless of size of property, you can claim tax exempt status. I'd love to not to have to pay taxes on my feed, but then again, do I have to come up with a farm name and get a business licence and pay taxes? I'd just as soon keep it simple without having to jump through a ton of hoops. It's not like I am going to make money off the eggs or even offset my costs, you know?

Eggs

Farmers wishing to sell eggs should be familiar with the North Carolina Egg Law . The Egg Law addresses labeling, standards, invoices, advertisement, displays, sanitation, and marketing.
Eggs that are for sale must be clean (not necessarily washed, but clean).
Anyone selling more than 30 dozen eggs per week must grade the eggs and label cartons with the grade. Eggs are graded based on federal quality standards. See the United States Standards, Grades, and Weight Classes for Shell Eggs for guidelines.
The eggs must be refrigerated to 45° F or less after gathering. Do not allow them to freeze. http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-meatandeggs/

There is a link you can follow on the NC extension office page for more info. If you sell less than 30 dozen then you don't fall under these guidelines.
We're cross posting, lol. :D

We're cross posting, lol.
big_smile.png
Great minds and all that
lau.gif
. It would probably help if I read ahead to see if someone else responded but most of the time by the time I finish catching up I can't find or remember what I wanted to post.

Back
Top Bottom