North Carolina

I need to downsize my Breda now that they are over 12 weeks old.
It seems like I had to grow out forever since Breda don't have combs.
When I guessed their sex at a week old I thought it was 2 cockerals and 4 pullets based on how quickly they got tail feathers.
Now I'm thinking 3 of each.

I'm thinking pullet, cockerel, pullet?

I'm thinking cockerel, pullet, cockerel???

I know a few of you had hatched Breda before, I appreciate any expertise
smile.png

PS- When do they start crowing? My Lav Orp made it to about 6 months. Any boys at crowing age will have to go to freezer camp if they don't get a home, but they are lighter birds, don't seem like they have much meat on them.

Last edited:
Im north of Asheville and Im lookin for a Orp Roo(anything but buff).  Also for OE pullets...and leads would be appreciated.  Wanted to try our group before I venture else wheres....Thanks!

Good news:  I live in Yancey County and our lowest has been -9....my flock is doing good.  (I probably jinxed myself :fl )

Like to a store or just to other people?

I *believe* you can just sell them other people without doing anything. During the period I didn't have layers I'd buy them from fellow BYC'ers, sometimes flock swaps, sometimes craigslist ads, sometimes neighbors.
I've never sold them though, just bought them. We don't have enough for an egg business, my family can go through some eggs, whenever I have extras I give them away to the neighbors (mainly to bribe them into my chicken math, I believe the city's total limit on backyard poultry is 10....)
wink.png

What do I need to do to legally sell eggs here?
Google "north Carolina Egg Law". I'd link you, but it's hard on my iPad.

You can sell up to 30 dozen a week without grading. All eggs must be properly labeled, with name/Farm name, address, phone number and the word "ungraded". The letters have size requirements, but I don't remember the specifics. I know mine is bigger, but don't remember how much. You can reuse clean cartons. This holds for eggs you give away, too. I doubt anyone will hunt you down unless your eggs make someone sick, but if that happens it's best to have all your ducks in a row. Plus, we have had people call about getting eggs because someone shared with them and they got the carton. Most of my regular customers return the cartons, because they know doing so keeps costs down.

Back
Top Bottom