North Carolina

Wow! That's quite a mixture! The Wyandottes are so pretty, but I think, as you said, personality wins - at least with me it does. I'd rather have chickens as pets than "producers". My girls (and boy) are pretty tame. I was working with them by holding and petting them a while back, but I landed in the hospital for 3 weeks, and just now able to hobble out to the coop to spend a little time with them.

Speaking of coops, my carpenter seems to have abandoned the job and I can't get hold of him. Coop needs finishing (chicks are in, but still needs a nest box, roof vents, batten between boards, etc.) and the chickies don't even have a run yet. I do have windows for ventilation, but they need to be outside! Is there a way to message me on this board if you know of a carpenter (or good handyman) in our area that can finish the job?

Wow!  That's quite a mixture!  The Wyandottes are so pretty, but I think, as you said, personality wins - at least with me it does.  I'd rather have chickens as pets than "producers".  My girls (and boy) are pretty tame.  I was working with them by holding and petting them a while back, but I landed in the hospital for 3 weeks, and just now able to hobble out to the coop to spend a little time with them.  

Speaking of coops, my carpenter seems to have abandoned the job and I can't get hold of him.  Coop needs finishing (chicks are in, but still needs a nest box, roof vents, batten between boards, etc.) and the chickies don't even have a run yet.  I do have windows for ventilation, but they need to be outside!  Is there a way to message me on this board if you know of a carpenter (or good handyman) in our area that can finish the job?

Sorry about your carpenter. I am afraid they are an independent lot around here. You didn't by chance pay him in advance of the job being finished did you?
I have a flock of pure bred hens but all are different except the ones from Kathy in Mo. She restarted the Delaweres about 5 yrs back. They are pretty impressive with their build but color still needs abit more to come true each time. They have black specks where they shouldn't but size is really good. This fall I will thin them down to the two roos I want and hens that are closest to bred standard. All are better in size than the ones from the hatcheries. I had brahmas and they were very friendly. Maybe later on if you want we can trade a a few chicks. I will have quite a few of the Dels. I will only keep about three of the hens and 2 of the roos. We have a poultry club in Franklin. If you want to come and check it out let me know. They meet once a month. I am afraid I love it but have not been able to attend much lately.Welcome to BYC

Sorry about your carpenter. I am afraid they are an independent lot around here. You didn't by chance pay him in advance of the job being finished did you?
I have a flock of pure bred hens but all are different except the ones from Kathy in Mo. She restarted the Delaweres about 5 yrs back. They are pretty impressive with their build but color still needs abit more to come true each time. They have black specks where they shouldn't but size is really good. This fall I will thin them down to the two roos I want and hens that are closest to bred standard. All are better in size than the ones from the hatcheries. I had brahmas and they were very friendly. Maybe later on if you want we can trade a a few chicks. I will have quite a few of the Dels. I will only keep about three of the hens and 2 of the roos. We have a poultry club in Franklin. If you want to come and check it out let me know. They meet once a month. I am afraid I love it but have not been able to attend much lately.Welcome to BYC

Oops I think this was for both you and Nattalie Alyson. I am old and older than my yrs. Sorry

We have 2 gold laced and 2 silver laced wydonets, a giant jersey, a barn yard mix, 2 Easter eggers, 2 buff Brahmas and a buff orp roo that is still learning to crow. We have 2 dozen buff brahma eggs in transit. We've decided that buff brahamas are our favorite and are going to slowly transition the flock over to them. Our brahams follow us around like puppies and are always the 1st to come running when we call.

I love my Brahma roo. So calm and kind to the ladies. I have kids too, so a docile rooster is a must. I will say, though, that I did have a large Brahma hen stroke out on me in the heat this summer. Maybe more of an issue down here in the triangle than up in the hills. But keep that in mind if you get any really hot days. Otherwise I have a somewhat similar mix :)

Speaking of which, I'm up to 56 chickens, 39 of which are chicks from this year, and one, hopefully last, broody hen.

Congratulations on the new surprise chick! That's a much better surprise then the egg that I had "hatch" today... I have a big basket of colorful blown egg shells sitting on my plant rack in front of the window in my kitchen. Today, I noticed an awful smell and found goo under and all over my basket. Apparently someone stuck an actual egg in there at some point, probably several months ago and it finally exploded. So gross.
sickbyc.gif

EW, rotten egg...that's the worst!! Did you find the little sneak that did it to you? :p

Crazy hen - Well no, luckily I am actually behind in paying him but he assured me last time that it's not an issue, so not sure what his problem is. I have been going to the Franklin meetings (except the last one when I was in the hospital). I plan to go this coming Tuesday - should be entertaining to say the least! lol

I enjoy them when I am able to go. The people are great. I got a dozen eggs from Chad and have 4 Javas to hatch. I had the eggs seperated under two broodies. One untested and one who did not seem to make up her mind good. She stayed off the nest to much. That one hatched only one so I gave it to the one who is new but a BR. She is a sweety. She had 3 of the 5 hatch. The others were not fertile. If you are interested later I am sure that I will have too many Dels. to keep. Take care out there and lets hope the avian flue does not hit us this fall.

Delawares are one breed I've had my eye on, but not ready yet. Number one priority is getting these girls a coop and run built! Thanks for the offer and if chicken math strikes, I know where to go! :)

Delawares are one breed I've had my eye on, but not ready yet.  Number one priority is getting these girls a coop and run built!  Thanks for the offer and if chicken math strikes, I know where to go!  :)
Chicken math hit here about 5 yrs ago and has not gone away. I have 13 laying hens, 18 about 6 wks and 4 ,2 day olds. In Nov. I should know how many I want to keep so keep me in mind. I am very reasonable to deal with. Have a great summer.

Back
Top Bottom