North Carolina

Hi All!

I agree on the health of hen-raised chicks versus people-raised ones. If I could, I'd let hens raise all my chicks!

On the fecal float, I'd call around to other vets. I have no idea why yours wouldn't do a float. If you have a microscope, you can make your own float solution. Not quite as good as the commercial, but a super-saturated solution of sugar or salt will work. Of course, you'd also need to know what to look for. Some things, like Giardia, are very difficult to find. A book will get some things, but ....

Hi All!

I agree on the health of hen-raised chicks versus people-raised ones. If I could, I'd let hens raise all my chicks!

On the fecal float, I'd call around to other vets. I have no idea why yours wouldn't do a float. If you have a microscope, you can make your own float solution. Not quite as good as the commercial, but a super-saturated solution of sugar or salt will work. Of course, you'd also need to know what to look for. Some things, like Giardia, are very difficult to find. A book will get some things, but ....
Have said book.......floating around with the rest of those vet tech books somewhere
hide.gif

Hi All!

I agree on the health of hen-raised chicks versus people-raised ones.  If I could, I'd let hens raise all my chicks!

On the fecal float, I'd call around to other vets.  I have no idea why yours wouldn't do a float.  If you have a microscope, you can make your own float solution.  Not quite as good as the commercial, but a super-saturated solution of sugar or salt will work.  Of course, you'd also need to know what to look for.  Some things, like Giardia, are very difficult to find.  A book will get some things, but ....

Thank you! I don't have a microscope so I'll have to keep calling around to the vets. I was annoyed with mine because I called them before I drove all the way out there and they agreed to do it, but when I showed up with my bag of chicken poop they said "no".

@SemperChicken You're famous! did you know you were being quoted here?

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/no...ates-registration-mandate/Content?oid=4830681
Haha, well would you look at that. I'm glad they quoted me correctly, minus the "ex-Marine" (once a Marine, always a Marine).

It's another reminder that nothing we say is private.
Very true, which is why I kind of took a haitus from FB for over a year, but reactivated it lately... just keep to myself a lot on there and don't really post anything sensitive like locations and stuff.

Hi happy fellow chicken lovers! Got a quick question! I have a box of "outdated" produce from our local grocery store they agreed to give to me. I'm extremely careful what I give my chickens in the first place and I wash all produce in an organic apple cider vingegar soak before they ingest any of it. The down side is a lot of what they have given me the past few times (like raspberries, grapes, tomatoes, etc.) have had mold on them. Does anybody know of its safe to give to them? I haven't been giving it to them because I don't want it to make them sick. It's not a ton of mold but here and there on a few pieces. Anybody have any insight?

Back
Top Bottom