North Carolina

I know you said you didn't want to do Craigs.list but this guy in Cherryville is pretty widely known in the chicken business around these parts.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1896701270.html

My brother used to live up in Leichester back in the early '80's. All I remember is you went around and around the mountain and each side road was the drive up to someone's house, lol. Remember waking up one morning and looking out over the mountain fog and watching a pretty white church appear on the next mountain over.

Then he moved to a town in Mass with the same name but pronounced totally different, lol.

It is very pretty here in Leicester. One day last winter we watched fog freeze across the mountains. It just moved and froze and moved on. It was amazing.

I will give that guy a call from Craig's List. At least he comes with a recommendation. My experience today really creeped me out.

Thanks.
Kathie

Quote:
Let me know if he's got something you are interested in that I could pick up for you. I'm headed up your way next weekend (21st) to drop off some stuff in Ashville, then over to TaLani's to drop off Poof, a black cochin pullet, then from there over to Waynesville. Wouldn't be a problem to hit Leicester along the way.

I will keep a watcout for you Kathie.

Now that I am moving to NC how does everyone deal with predators? I never had an issue in Maryland and I don't want to take any chances.

Hugs Karen

Hi guys, looks like we're on for a casual meetup at Holiday Diner on Saturday, Sept 18th at noon! Yahoo!!

I just started another thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4682583#p4682583 to compile all the address info, etc. If you'd like to come, please visit the thread and comment w/ number of folks coming so we can get a headcount.

Can't wait to meet some of you wonderful folks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Kathie! I'm in Leicester too, off Dix Creek Rd #2 off Newfound. We just moved out to Leicester a year or so ago after living in downtown Avl for a number of years, we love it out here! Are you still looking for a white silkie? I can ask around some of the Leicester chicken folk to see anyone has one they're willing to part with, if you'd like!

Quote:
Depends on what part of the state you are in. Up in the mountains. EVERYTHING!! Including BIG things like bears. Electric fence is the only way to go.

Down here in the piedmont edging into the foothills area, Coyote is the biggest threat if you live in a more rural area with an occassional "cat" and even less frequent bear. The usual Raccoons, Possums, Dogs are the main ones.

Eastern Piedmont the same usual subjects as here.

Coast around marshes and rural areas, the usual subjects, Bobcats, and gators! Yes there are Gators in NC!

My chickens are enclosed, as the greatest danger to them is probably one of my cats. My up the mountain neighbor has lost a lot chicks to black snakes, but the adults survive.

Thanks for all the help in finding me a white silkie. I think I will have one next week now. I drove 75 miles, in one direction, last Saturday to get one. When I got there, the guy said I would have to follow him to where they were. Odd since he knew I was coming, and I could hear chickens in the backyard. He told me to follow him, but when he turned down a deserted road, I turned around and came home. My instincts told me to get out of there.

I hope I am available for the next get together!

Kathie

Last edited:
Kathie~~that is just tooooo creepy!! You were wise to follow your instincts.

I do buy and sell on CL, but I'm extremely cautious; so far I've had the best of luck.

Hope to meet all of you'll at the Holiday Diner

Quote:
Holy Moly would have given me the creeps as well. You did the smart thing!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom