North Carolina

Quote:
Try Shooks Poultry in Claremont, NC. They provide four or five breeds of 'Started Pullets'. Very reasonably priced at about $6.50 each for 18 week old pullets. I got 19 Gold Comets from them last spring and they have been the very best layers ever! They started laying at 22 weeks and we've been getting 17 - 19 eggs each and every day almost without fail, even with all this miserable weather here in the Carolinas for the past three months. Look 'em up on the internet.

I haven't heard of them before here, but I have heard of Murray's Hatchery here...

Whoot!!! That's wonderful! I would love to stop by sometime and say welcome Phyllis to the Dix Creek Hood! wink

Let's get together as soon as Phyllis adjusts. Right now she is sitting almost under two other hens who have gone broody (I am taking their eggs). I don't know if I have seen a more submissive chicken in my life.

Do I just let them work all this out for themselves? Anyone have any suggestions?
Kathie​

Good Morning Kathie,
As long as Phyllis shows no bloody injuries, and it doesn't appear her brain is being pecked too much, and so long as she's eating and drinking~~I'd let them work it out. If you notice any of those things I just mentioned, I think I'd separate her (within seeing distance of the other birds) so she doesn't become weak.

No blood, and when I made them leave the nesting boxes to eat and drink, she does but she is the first to go back up the ramp and into the house.

I got the tiniest egg yesterday. I doubt Phyllis is laying in her stress, so I think it must be Lucille's first. She is almost six months old.

Kathie

Back
Top Bottom