North Carolina

Yay, nice to meet you!!
Was it the one at Town and Country?
smile.png
Yes, it was.

Hello everyone,
sad day here at Shadow Oak, in torrential down pour this after noon 4 inches of water flooded my broody pen and 4 chicks drowned :hit I feel so horrible :(

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( I am so paranoid about that very thing happening to me every time I hear a storm coming.

hey and welcome my grandpa lives in sandford he owns the farmers market "down on the farm"

Where is that in Sanford? :) I grew up here, but I can't say I've heard of Down on the Farm. :)

Yes, it was.

Hope you had a good experience! It's always a toss up for me. I've been lied to and ignored altogether so just gotta use your best judgement and really grill them with questions. Lol
There's actually another swap scheduled for tomorrow (6th) that I plan to go to (if I wake up early enough! Haha). Hoping I'll meet some cool people. :)

Tammy my yard is still a lake, but its dried up some in the neighbors yard. Its not all the way to his drive now! So if no more rain for a few days, I might get to play catch the fish with the kiddos. And maybe everybody's frogs will go back home!!! I love to hear the night time noises, but after a few weeks of nothing but vary loud frogs, I'm ready for a break.

Sorry about your chicks Wild.

Starling, every chicken sale is like that with the lairs, but there are some good sellers too. You gotta know what your looking for and what that looks like at different stages of life. That's why I love the "what breed and gender section" on here, helps out with that alot.

Good Late Morning everyone!
I have YET ANOTHER broody!! We classified our second broody as "Maizey" from Dr. Seuss as she wants to sit on the eggs, yet she isn't sitting on the eggs!
he.gif
We have one of our grey Marans (I think) who has been faithfully sitting for the past 2 days NOT moving off....so we will switch the girls out (as well as the eggs)...bummer what a waste of a dozen eggs. Oh well.
Baby...still there! BOO. Had a great time berry picking with my hubby and girls, but sadly that did NOT induce labor. LOL. DH decided since all of our trees died, he wants to plant blue/black/red berries in their stead just like he saw at Vollmer Farms!! LOL.
Have a great day everyone...keeping my fingers crossed for a DRY weekend for everyone!!

I'm glad you had a good time berry picking. I think you said something earlier about castor oil
sickbyc.gif
LOL Hopefully it won't come to that.

Hello everyone,
sad day here at Shadow Oak, in torrential down pour this after noon 4 inches of water flooded my broody pen and 4 chicks drowned
hit.gif
I feel so horrible
sad.png

all this rain has reeked havoc on my little farm, everything is flooded and bogged with sticky mud. Its quiet depressing.
I hope ya'll are fairing better than I.
I did manage to save this little guy
My turkey attacked this little turtle, jumping on him until he was sucked and stuck in the mud, I got him out washed him off and placed him on the other side of the yard where he sought safety beanth my cousin's scooter.
smile.png
most beautiful markings I have ever seen on a turtle.
I'm sorry you lost some chicks! It's devastating when that happens. Your little turtle friend is very pretty.
Hey everyone! I have been off the computer as I have been working away on my new coop! It is coming along nicely and I will try to get pics up soon. I still owe you all pics of last weeks chicks too! They are on my phone...

Great on the coop. I'm still hoping for a dry day to work on the run and a tractor for quarantine. After work yesterday was a washout. I can't get anything done in the rain.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Good Morning, Happy Chicken People!

I awoke to sunshine this morning! Wow! First time in a long time.

Sorry about the losses. Especially those due to this weird weather.

RF, get some video of you trying to catch your goldfish. We should all get a good laugh out of that! ;)

Enjoy your day, folks!

Last edited:
Good morning folks
frow.gif

It is VERY foggy here so far today......hope everyone
is safe if they try to drive through it. If.....IF the rains
hold off here today I am hoping to whack back a bit of
jungle that use to be the lawn
lau.gif

hope everyone has a dry day
yippiechickie.gif

FARRAH hey!!! im in union county too where r u im in wingate

whoever was lookong for LIONHEADS i have a litter on the way too

i am so happy my paint silkie hen finally layed an egg after scarring me to death with wry neck breeding season is just around the corner for me!!!!!! and 15 bbs silkies in the bator and maybe putting some japanese bantams in

Just moved here in March, we are in Wingate too.

Starling, every chicken sale is like that with the lairs, but there are some good sellers too. You gotta know what your looking for and what that looks like at different stages of life. That's why I love the "what breed and gender section" on here, helps out with that alot.

Oh yes, totally agree.
Today's flock swap was better than most. Saw a few regulars and a lot more healthy looking birds.
There was an older couple selling young silkies and the woman was very sweet and friendly. The silkies were healthy, no obvious parasites. One had a straight comb but nearly everyone else had proper silkie features that I could tell.
So I bought a young black silkie to be named Marceline 2.0 (I had one that died over the winter either from cold or being slept on top of by my turkey)
Can't say for sure if it's a girl... The stance is a little worrisome, but man, silkies are hard. My first silkie I spent an hour picking out as a three day old and was sure it was a girl but as it grew up it started looking more and more like a rooster... But then 8 months later she laid an egg.
So I give up on sexing silkies unless they are day olds (wing sexing) or old enough to lay. :)

But on a funny note, there was another couple looking like they were just trying to get rid of their chickens, possibly to get younger ones.

They told someone ahead of me that there was only one rooster (possibly true but I was suspicious) and that they were all VERY young. He stressed the word very.
I'm wondering if he was comparing their age to his own age when he said that because they all look at LEAST 2 years old, possibly 3 and 4 for some of them.
Not to mention they were pretty overmated (one reason to be suspicious of there only being one rooster).
So I couldn't help but laugh and shake my head as I walked away. :)

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday! The forecast here is sunny and warm but we've had some light scattered showers.

So my girls are 17 weeks old today. I'm heading out to buy then the next step up of food (layer I'm guessing) but I have a 10 week old with them. What do I do with that one? Do I feed it the same food?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom