North Carolina

Exactly. And local laws on protecting your livestock NEVER include federally or internationally protected species. Hawks fall under the International Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Not only is it against the law, but removing top level predators is rarely a good idea. Coyotes are now an exception, but normally it causes more problems than it fixes. Remember the rattlesnake roundups they used to do before rattlesnakes became protected? After they had those, they had a huge explosion of rodents, causing a lot of economic damage. Hawks are the same. They eat far more rodents than chickens. Besides, we're supposed to be the smart ones. If we congregate prey animals in one place, then it's our duty to shelter them properly. Killing off the predators isn't protecting our stock. It's just going to increase the rodents in our feed and carrying disease.

Not intending to lecture, but as a biologist, this is a hot topic for me. The damage done to ecosystems by removing predators is astounding.
Thank you Hollow........this is what I have been saying
as well..............federal laws will super cede anything a state
official will tell you and with all the folks that video record
everything these days I would not chance getting caught
and you can't even disturb the birds. The best line of defense
is to out smart them and find a way to keep the stock safe.

Haha love the idea of a trained falcon, though with my luck he'd eat more than the hawk did!

My cat keeps the other cats away. He thinks he is my chicken's gaurdian. We have had our neighbors dog jump the 6ft fence INTO our yard a couple times, but fortunately we were home. He wouldn't be able to get in the new pen though. I keep checking for the hawk, but he hasn't tried to come back yet. I know it's just a matter of time. Hopefully my pen is more secure now.

Exactly. And local laws on protecting your livestock NEVER include federally or internationally protected species. Hawks fall under the International Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Not only is it against the law, but removing top level predators is rarely a good idea. Coyotes are now an exception, but normally it causes more problems than it fixes. Remember the rattlesnake roundups they used to do before rattlesnakes became protected? After they had those, they had a huge explosion of rodents, causing a lot of economic damage. Hawks are the same. They eat far more rodents than chickens. Besides, we're supposed to be the smart ones. If we congregate prey animals in one place, then it's our duty to shelter them properly. Killing off the predators isn't protecting our stock. It's just going to increase the rodents in our feed and carrying disease.

Not intending to lecture, but as a biologist, this is a hot topic for me. The damage done to ecosystems by removing predators is astounding.

[COLOR=008000]Thank you Hollow........this is what I have been saying[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]as well..............federal laws will super cede anything a state[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]official will tell you and with all the folks that video record[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]everything these days I would not chance getting caught[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]and you can't even disturb the birds. The best line of defense[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008000]is to out smart them and find a way to keep the stock safe.[/COLOR]

You Can harass them! But you can Not harass their nesting sites. You can put out reflectors, flapping plastic bags and other visual irritants with no worries. But you just have to avoid their nests and not interfere with those. Since raptors rely on vision, anything moving is a distraction. The more flashy, moving things you have, the less likely they are to come around. They can't hunt trying to keep track of potential threats.

You Can harass them! But you can Not harass their nesting sites. You can put out reflectors, flapping plastic bags and other visual irritants with no worries. But you just have to avoid their nests and not interfere with those. Since raptors rely on vision, anything moving is a distraction. The more flashy, moving things you have, the less likely they are to come around. They can't hunt trying to keep track of potential threats.

Good to know! I will have to install some moving things. I don't know where the nest is, but I would assume on Ft Bragg since our property is right by the range and they have tons of undisturbed trees there.

I should have clarified my term of harassment.
I was thinking more the thoughts of "shoot near to scare"
type harassment.........there are some who think
that is okay to do......but it isn't......you can't trap and
relocate either. I just do my best to live WITH nature
and figure out ways to keep safe what I can and let
the wildlife have their share if I must
big_smile.png

Congrats to NH and family
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
[COLOR=008000]I should have clarified my term of harassment.[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]I was thinking more the thoughts of "shoot near to scare"[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]type harassment.........there are some who think[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]that is okay to do......but it isn't......you can't trap and[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]relocate either. I just do my best to live WITH nature[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]and figure out ways to keep safe what I can and let[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]the wildlife have their share if I must
big_smile.png
[/COLOR] [COLOR=008000]Congrats to NH and family
thumbsup.gif
[/COLOR]
I should have realized what you meant, but I can not imagine anyone shooting "near" something, or shooting in town at all. You should always know where your bullet/projectile is going. There are livestock and children around! As far as visual deterrents go, hanging up CDs is excellent. They blow in the breeze and flash erratically. Dutchbunny, I think your hawk was probably so traumatized by the experience that despite having food it'll stay well clear of the "trap" you had!

Hey guys! Hawks sometimes circle my babies whenever I let them out so I stay super close to wherever my flock is. I keep a pellet gun with pointed pellets with me outside. It is illegal to kill a hawk but I don't see why it would matter since its wild and is endangering your livestock just like anything else like a coyote or boar. I am unsure of the laws and such on that matter but I know a man shot a hawk for trying to swoop at his miniature weenie dog and to find out days later the game wardens were everywhere trying to figure who did it. :-/ plus....my DH saw some cat birds in wilson beating a hawk up!!!! We are talking the stupid hawk just sat there on a light pole while these cat birds were nosing diving and stabbing it with the beaks. My assumption is that hawk is dead. I'm sorry for the damage it caused. And im sorry about your chickens and your kitty. I really am. :-( I'm pray he will pull through. ;)

Hollowoakfarm...u read my mind! :) all the pie Tins we have up in the garden is probably why the hawks have never swooped down at my babies! I had never thought of that. Lol. U r so smart!

Back
Top Bottom