North Carolina

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and didn't get too roughed up doing any shopping. Went and did some shopping with my brother and daughter, suprised crowds weren't bad at all. Well before we left, I let the kids out to play in the yard since they have been locked up for the past couple of days due to the nasty weather. When we got home one of my roosters wa laying in the yard on his back with feet up in the air. Thought he was dead but thankfully not. Found 7 in the coop all huddled up on the top roost. We started looking around the yard and found tons of feathers, not a good sign I'm thinking. Well we ended finding all but one, have 17 total. With the feathers we found, figured maybe a hawk paid a visit. Grabbed Jesse, the rooster laying on back, and looked him over. Saw some small puncture marks on his back. Put some Blue Kote on them and brought him into the house to keep an eye on him for a couple of days. Well I went out to shut the doors on the coop and found the missing hen sitting up by the nest boxes. Brought her in and checked her out and found some small puncture marks on her. Treated her wounds and put her out with the rest of the kids for the night. She is missing almost all of her tail feathers but otherwise looks good. After looking at the wounds on the two, thinking maybe it was one of the local cats. I thought that I had taken care of any that were brave enough to come in the yard, but guess not. Hopefully Jesse will come through this scrape and be ok. He's like a cat with nine lives, been kicked several times either on purpose(for coming at me or my daughter) or by accident and been scared by something that made him jump the fences and end up in the neighbors yard. When he was picked up out of the yard, he was so calm and never tried to get away or even try to say anything. Still hasn't made a sound. Hope he gets better over the night. Thank for hearing me tell my story. Hope everyone has a good night.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and didn't get too roughed up doing any shopping. Went and did some shopping with my brother and daughter, suprised crowds weren't bad at all. Well before we left, I let the kids out to play in the yard since they have been locked up for the past couple of days due to the nasty weather. When we got home one of my roosters wa laying in the yard on his back with feet up in the air. Thought he was dead but thankfully not. Found 7 in the coop all huddled up on the top roost. We started looking around the yard and found tons of feathers, not a good sign I'm thinking. Well we ended finding all but one, have 17 total. With the feathers we found, figured maybe a hawk paid a visit. Grabbed Jesse, the rooster laying on back, and looked him over. Saw some small puncture marks on his back. Put some Blue Kote on them and brought him into the house to keep an eye on him for a couple of days. Well I went out to shut the doors on the coop and found the missing hen sitting up by the nest boxes. Brought her in and checked her out and found some small puncture marks on her. Treated her wounds and put her out with the rest of the kids for the night. She is missing almost all of her tail feathers but otherwise looks good. After looking at the wounds on the two, thinking maybe it was one of the local cats. I thought that I had taken care of any that were brave enough to come in the yard, but guess not. Hopefully Jesse will come through this scrape and be ok. He's like a cat with nine lives, been kicked several times either on purpose(for coming at me or my daughter) or by accident and been scared by something that made him jump the fences and end up in the neighbors yard. When he was picked up out of the yard, he was so calm and never tried to get away or even try to say anything. Still hasn't made a sound. Hope he gets better over the night. Thank for hearing me tell my story. Hope everyone has a good night.

Glad you found everyone and they were all relatively ok! Hope your wounded heal well and quickly!

I was supposed to go to the show in WS in the morning, but I don't think I'm making the ride tonight. I feel like a stuffed turkey. I completely forgot about it and never booked a room, so I think I'll just have to catch it next year. Oh well, I was really excited about going but I just had a houseful of people for a leftover feast and totally forgot about little things like packing, bathing birds, getting a hotel room......

If anyone is going, let me know how it was
tongue.png

Thanks for sharing the story and hope all is back to well soon.

Here's an update on my hurt roo. He's been sleeping in a cage since the attack. His comb is a really dark color, almost purple looking. Whereas before it was a nice red lookng almost bright red at times. Any ideas on why? Also he hasn't moved since we put him in the cage. Thanks again for any help.

I missed the part on the attack, but the purple sounds like bruising.
They can also get real dark like black from frost bite, and it's been cold, but if he was injured I would guess it's bruising....

Oh my god Tia, Did you lose the pair I gave you?  I may have a replacement pair for you if you need one.  Let me know.  I also have some sizzles hatching this week.  Let me know if you need help looking.  I have some time tomorrow morning, I could ride out and help you look.  You should check with Brandon at animal control, people who find chickens sometimes report them to animal control or the humane society, you may even try the Outer Banks Wildilfe Shelter, sometimes people bring rabbits and chickens there.  Let me know if you want me to put any eggs in the incubator for you.  

The pair that you gave me did not survive, unfortunately. I may have to take you up on your offer. I will rebuild my coop and I'll let you know for sure. Your silkies were the only pair I had close to show quality. Thank you so much. Its a huge relief knowing that a fellow chicken enthusiast is willing to help. On the up side Renee, 3 chicks that survived were 3 from your pair.

Last edited:
Turkey shelter question--

My gigantic meat turkeys have outgrown their coop (they were supposed to have already been processed before they got this big or it got this cold, but my husband left).
Last night they were sleeping outside, which even though wild turkeys live out in this, it seems too cold for them, isn't it?
I was going to head to Lowe's to get some supplies to build them something.
It's not going to be too fancy as my husband will be home in 2 weeks and they are headed to the freezer, but I want them to be comfortable until then. If I put down straw or bedding on the ground, can I build them a shelter without roosts? Roosts would need a lot more framing (and $ for lumber) and I've noticed the big ones won't even roost anymore as they're big. Also, how do you get them to sleep in a new shelter? Anytime I introduce something new it seems like the birds would rather sleep outside then go in it....

Well got some bad news to report. The roo that was hurt in the attack passed sometime this morning since my last post. My daughter wanted to have him stuffed, but just can't justify the cost. We buried him in the backyard. Before i finished with this sad task, I went and found some of the feathers that were scattered around the yard and put with him so that he can have some of his girls with him. When I told this to my daughter she just seemed to lose it as well as I did. Think this is the first time that she has seen her dad cry in a long time. As much as Jesse aggravated us, he protected his girls till the end. I just told her that he gave his life protecting his girlfriends and that we couldn't ask for much more than that.

She wants another rooster like him. We think he was a White-Faced Black Spanish. Think this by looking at the different pictures of different breeds. It's either that or a Mincora, but his wattles weren't as big as the pictures that I've seen. Will try to post a pic of him my DD took before we buried him earlier. Got him from TSC in March of 2012. He was a bantam. Anyone out there have one or know of where we might be able to get one. My other rooster is a silkie and he was found hiding with the rest of the girls so don't know if he tried to fight whatever came into the yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom