North Carolina

Hello and Welcome! I drive to Chapel Hill for work. Didn't think Carrboro or Chapel Hill would be "open" to chickens. How many / what kind do you have?
Well, technically I live in Carrboro, but I'm right on the border, close to Cat's Cradle. We started with 5, two golden comets, two barred rocks, and one australorp. Unfortunately, our neighbor's dogs escaped their pen a month ago and killed one of our BR's and injured the australorp, but we were able to save her and nurse her back to health. Then less than a week ago, one of our GC's got really sick in less than 12 hours and died. We think from botulism. Needless to say, it's been a rough month!

Also, you're allowed up to 12 hens but no rooster. We made a deal with the landlord that we'd build a A-frame and move it every day so they didn't destroy the yard, and that's what we've been doing for a year-and-a-half now!

wee.gif

Hello all! Fairly uneventful here. Chickies had their first night out in the cold with no light last night. They seem to have fared just fine. Currently they are in a run within the main run and driving the big chickens nuts. :)

Have a good Saturday everyone!

caf.gif

No Chapel Hill would.not as chickens.actually work and.produce so the liberals woud run them out or outlaw them..

Sorry, i couldn't resist!
That hurts my feelings
hit.gif
. I'm a Liberal, I work really hard and am a very productive member of society, I also have a lot of chickens. I think its just a matter of certain people hating chickens. I think there are a lot of people out there that actually have chicken phobias and who have misplaced notions about the smell etc. I was talking to someone from Australia yesterday who said that he can't have chickens because of the smell and the noise. Seems like a rule made up by people who are completely ignorant about chickens. My family lives in the PJ's in Hoboken, NJ and you would be amazed how many people there keep chickens. People who immigrate from places like Haiti, you can't tell them that they can't have their chickens. Its a very chicken-unfriendly world we live in, but i think that there are many of you (independent of race, credo, religion or sexual orientation) who live in suburban areas that are working hard to change that and I salute you.
big_smile.png

That hurts my feelings
hit.gif
. I'm a Liberal, I work really hard and am a very productive member of society, I also have a lot of chickens.

Ditto that. I wouldn't consider my current number of chickens to be "a lot" though. It's early yet... Spring has yet to come... mwahahahahahaha

There are people who take advantage of the system on all sides of the political fence. No one is perfect, a little leaven leavens the whole lump.

Sigh, I think I may need a new incubator, seems like I keep having humidity issues. Or may need to position different on lockdown. Hatching in egg cartons seems like it would be harder to get out of the egg, but some people do that so maybe I'll give it a try.

It looks like it's fine....
I don't add water until they go into lockdown.
It seems like a positioning issues maybe? Going from the automatic turner to just laying in there at lockdown?

I had 10 eggs go in, looking great. Only 4 hatched yesterday. Today was day 21 so I left them in there, but the chirping and rocking stopped. Finally checked and the last 6 were fully developed, almost all the yolk absorbed, and just dead in the shell in an odd position. Never used to happen before seems like it keeps happening the last couple times....

Last edited:
That hurts my feelings
hit.gif
. I'm a Liberal, I work really hard and am a very productive member of society, I also have a lot of chickens. I think its just a matter of certain people hating chickens. I think there are a lot of people out there that actually have chicken phobias and who have misplaced notions about the smell etc. I was talking to someone from Australia yesterday who said that he can't have chickens because of the smell and the noise. Seems like a rule made up by people who are completely ignorant about chickens. My family lives in the PJ's in Hoboken, NJ and you would be amazed how many people there keep chickens. People who immigrate from places like Haiti, you can't tell them that they can't have their chickens. Its a very chicken-unfriendly world we live in, but i think that there are many of you (independent of race, credo, religion or sexual orientation) who live in suburban areas that are working hard to change that and I salute you.
big_smile.png
I seem to remember something about people trying to get them allowed. But people wanted Chapel Hill to be more "sophisticated" and get urban. They basically wanted to get as far away from the cities/states rural roots. Maybe if you can get enough people together you can try and get them allowed. I know Raleigh allows them and so do most other larger cities. Even Fayetteville, who in my opinion wants to be Raleigh, allows them.

Back
Top Bottom