North Carolina

Once they reach that age they may lay a few on the ground by mistake just because they don't know yet but they should catch on, I find it helps them learn to put theyre eggs in the straw when this happens so they put 2 and 2 together also introducing atleast one grown hen could help

are there signs that they are ready to lay? or do i just need to start looking around in the straw for eggs?

i think i've figured out why my new 5 mo. old hens only go out in the run at night. they were secluded in a separate room away from the grownups who were all outside when i bought them. there were lights in the room as there were chicks in there as well. i bet the owner let them out in the yard at night when the others went in. could it be that that is just what they are accustomed to? and i ask again, in case some new folks are reading, is there a way i can get them to go out during the day? yesterday they were panting, and pushing each other out of a spot where some water had spilled bc they wanted to lay in the cool patch.

I don't know why they won't go out during the day, I might try kicking them out during the day and feeding them outside. At night mine will not go in the coop unless the light is on inside. If they do go in they all roost on the lowest roost because they can't see to get up to the top ones.

I don't know why they won't go out during the day, I might try kicking them out during the day and feeding them outside. At night mine will not go in the coop unless the light is on inside. If they do go in they all roost on the lowest roost because they can't see to get up to the top ones.

i caught them all today (again with the traumatic) and set them in their run as i had some work to do in their coop. then i went out and sat with them, throwing them scratch and dehydrated meal worms to get them to like me :) should i move their feeder outside on pretty days? i would think they would love the ground buffet better than their feed, but when i let them back in the coop it's straight to the feeder they went.

I am culling a hen today for a serious crop issue. I am noticing in my research that a lot of the pictures of crop issues appear to be cinnamon queens/golden comets. Has anyone found this to be true in their flocks? Are they genetically disposed to crop issues? Just curious what everyone else has noticed.

Also all of a sudden my girls are either laying outside of the boxes on the floor of the coop or some rebel is kicking the eggs out of the box! I have only had one cracked egg because of it, but the eggs are safer in the box and would prefer that they stay there! I have increased how often I go collect eggs trying to prevent this.

i caught them all today (again with the traumatic) and set them in their run as i had some work to do in their coop. then i went out and sat with them, throwing them scratch and dehydrated meal worms to get them to like me
smile.png
should i move their feeder outside on pretty days? i would think they would love the ground buffet better than their feed, but when i let them back in the coop it's straight to the feeder they went.

It can't hurt to try. My girls took a little bit to get used to the outdoor buffet!

Back
Top Bottom