North Carolina

I'm sorry to see that you are in that hard spot. You don't have any real good choice's, but you can use bird netting over top of your runs.
Good luck with that dog and the pet owners.

Scott

Thanks for all the support and commentary about the dog issue. The owner came over and apologized/offered to reimburse me for my loss and discuss what our options are so this doesn't continue. So that's something :)

In other news my broodie that was due to hatch this weekend was sitting on duds. So, of course I had to reward her by dropping by Southern States and getting her some bitties to raise, I mean, it's the only solution, right??
wink.png
Oddly enough they had just two Brahmas left!

CricketR4- Hollow is rigtht, be careful around others with anything that can be inhaled, and so on.

We only use when we have brought in new, and found, or just found in a check. We never use in the wind, so that it may blow. I usually hold the bird while my hubby sprays, and then I rub it down through the feathers, front to back to be sure that it got to the skin. They usually go into a prepared fenced area to dry before returning to a coop/run. Because it does work so fast, it will not need to be done often at all. If we have no reason to suspect bugs, we just make sure that they have a decent place to sun bath, and dust bath. This is more of a chore when we have had a lot of rain, but it is what they need.

All of that said, snakes provide a great service.  Some of them eat other (poisonous) snakes, they kill mice and generally don't kill chicks.  They might eat an egg or two, but let's face it, eggs aren't usually that expensive.  Unless they eat a chick, they aren't causing any harm.  Please don't kill them.

One other note, I am rather paranoid about copperheads because we have seen them on the property... the kingsnake will eat coperheads and other venimous snakes.  The hognose also eats other smaller snakes.

Have a happy chicken day everyone!

I don't advocate killing them either, but we lost 3 half grown (full size, not bantams) chickens to snakes last year. The snake(s) would strangle them, then start to eat them head first. Then, they would eventually spit them out when they realized they were too big to swallow, leaving the slimy dead chicken behind... Such a waste. Snakes can be a very real threat to chickens. Thankfully, I haven't seen any since we got guineas and a pair of barn cats.

hey guys im thinking of setting out a few veggie plants.. do yall know if my chickens will eat them ? like should I set them where the chickens cant get them ? I was thinking chickens would be natural bug control but idk if they will eat the plants

Interesting. I had given no thought to the breeding behind chickens. I was not aware that people would inbreed or linebreed although I guess that makes sense. What makes you think they are too inbred? How does being inbred affect chickens? I'd love to learn more about the genetic aspect of this.
I had a low hatch rate and i know that usually happens with shipped eggs then some of the ones that hatched were kind of small. Also one of the little roo chicks has a curled toe and they just seem like they need more vigor. I compared them to some of my other chicks that hatched around the same time and you could see a small difference.

yeah inbreeding and linebreeding are common practices used by breeders. but sometimes you have to add some new blood to keep them healthy.

Back
Top Bottom