North Carolina

I have a question:

This isn't my bird, a friend of mine posted these pics of her 4 month old chicken on facebook and asked if it was a hen or rooster. Like 30 people said hen, I am the only one who thinks this is a rooster. I know I'm far from an expert, but I'm curious for those I know chickens, do you really think it's a hen?

The neck feathers, while I can't see them in person, look like pointy hackle feathers, no? And the top of the tail is looking like it's starting to sickle? And I think I see some saddle feathers startng. Or am I totally off base??? Some of the people were really ripping into me for even suggesting rooster, but I just don't see a hen at 4 months.

(By the way that lavender olive egger I posted awhile back I thought was looking like a rooster, was. He was good though!)

rooster.. he has the split sickle feathers above the taller tail feathers, the strut, the sharp feathers around the neck. and it appears the attitude. At three months. Wait a bit and he will have more. LOL

I have a question:

This isn't my bird, a friend of mine posted these pics of her 4 month old chicken on facebook and asked if it was a hen or rooster.  Like 30 people said hen, I am the only one who thinks this is a rooster.  I know I'm far from an expert, but I'm curious for those I know chickens, do you really think it's a hen?

The neck feathers, while I can't see them in person, look like pointy hackle feathers, no?  And the top of the tail is looking like it's starting to sickle?  And I think I see some saddle feathers startng.  Or am I totally off base???  Some of the people were really ripping into me for even suggesting rooster, but I just don't see a hen at 4 months.

(By the way that lavender olive egger I posted awhile back I thought was looking like a rooster, was.  He was good though!)

That's definitely a rooster.

So this may be a stupid question, but there aren't orpingtons that don't have single combs right??? I only recently found out leghorns can have rose combs, but I've only ever seen Orpingtons with single combs. They're telling me it's an orpington, I thought it was a blue Wyandotte...

Back
Top Bottom