North Carolina

Hey, what's a 2-2 1/2 hour drive twice a day !!!!

Well, if that was all the driving he had to do, not too much, but considering his job is driving around to look at houses all day (he works for a disaster restoration company), I think it'd be a bit much.
big_smile.png

We're still waiting to hear back from the loan company about the loan. There has been a "lock" placed on loan companies purchasing credit scores, and since the loan company can't purchase our credit score, they're unwilling to send the loan through for final approval yet. This delay isn't helping our situation out at all.

I'm thoroughly enjoying these warm, sunny days we've been having, but my kids aren't! Lol! They want to be outside, playing, but they're "stuck inside, doing boring school!". I keep telling them that if they get their work done quickly, they can go play outside, but for at least two of them, it's not sinking in apparently. My oldest and youngest are able to fly through their work and be done by lunch on most days, but the two middle kids have a hard time buckling down and getting the work done. It's frustrating for me as well, since I'm often stuck inside too, with them, not doing other things.

On another note, I have a question: I have a meat hen (Heritage White Rock) that I was given as a "rescue", that is just over a year old, and had been laying fairly consistently up until the beginning of September. I've not gotten an egg out of her since the beginning of September. She's not acting or looking like she's egg bound, she's not old enough to molt (at least I don't think so, since I've never had a chicken molt that was less than two). She was pretty beat up by a group of roosters (they pulled almost all her back feathers off), and now that she's with only a young rooster (who is terrified of her and won't try to mount her) and 7 other hens, her feathers have grown back. Could she have just been pouring all her energy into feather growth, and that's why I've not gotten an egg out of her in a month and a half, or could something else be wrong? She's on my "needs to be culled" list, if she doesn't start laying soon.

Woohoo! Fall break at last! And I get an extra day since I don't have classes on Wednesday anyway! Five whole days!!

To clean my house.

Welcome to the new folks! This is a good, helpful group here. Jump right in!

I found myself having nightmares about the coming winter. I hate winter. I have pretty severe Raynauds, and doing chores in the predawn is killer on my hands and feet. The absolute worst are the caged stock...the rabbits and quail. I have to haul water bottles for them a couple times a day, and I can't hang them wearing gloves or mittens. So, I had a discussion with hubby and the upshot is that the quail are all going to freezer camp, and I'm reducing the rabbits to one trio. Three regular cages only to care for, plus overflow of young ones growing out. That will be much easier for me to handle that the current 12 cages, not including babies. Nightmares. Gotta listen to them! We will start putting quail in the freezer tonight. There's only about 50-ish of them at the moment, but I still don't want to do them all in one day.

Hope everyone has an awesome day!

Been loving the forecast for this week in the Raleigh area! It's very hard to enjoy it as much as I would like to with twins, but I do what I can with a cup of coffee in my hand and the chickens out of their run. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week and this cooler weekend.

Some pics. Cause everyone loves pictures!

Lola ran inside cause the other two girls were picking on her, lol! Poor thing. I'm glad that it isn't as bad as it used to be (her back was completely bare at one point). I think she still has anxiety around the bigger girls even though they get along a lot better.

Here are the littles exploring a little outside. I love watching them get all feisty, running at full speed, flapping their wings. Haha. I feel like they are enjoying life, or at least that's my goal =)

And this is how my day is, switching between the boys. Carrying them around in our carriers is such a lifesaver as they can get heavy after a while lol! This cutie is Emmett (the other is Ashton). Just outside enjoying the fresh air this morning =)

What a little sweetie!!!
love.gif
I am so happy for the break in the weather as well. Dh is taking a few days off to hopefully finish building the coop. The chickies are getting a little crowded in the dog crate in the garage (don't judge me lol)
idunno.gif
No blood letting yet I work hard to keep them entertained :) I will be glad when they are in their permanent home though!
yippiechickie.gif

Been loving the forecast for this week in the Raleigh area! It's very hard to enjoy it as much as I would like to with twins, but I do what I can with a cup of coffee in my hand and the chickens out of their run. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week and this cooler weekend. Some pics. Cause everyone loves pictures! Lola ran inside cause the other two girls were picking on her, lol! Poor thing. I'm glad that it isn't as bad as it used to be (her back was completely bare at one point). I think she still has anxiety around the bigger girls even though they get along a lot better. Here are the littles exploring a little outside. I love watching them get all feisty, running at full speed, flapping their wings. Haha. I feel like they are enjoying life, or at least that's my goal =) And this is how my day is, switching between the boys. Carrying them around in our carriers is such a lifesaver as they can get heavy after a while lol! This cutie is Emmett (the other is Ashton). Just outside enjoying the fresh air this morning =)
I don't know which is which but this one looks just like the feller totin him around lol

I found myself having nightmares about the coming winter. I hate winter. I have pretty severe Raynauds, and doing chores in the predawn is killer on my hands and feet. The absolute worst are the caged stock...the rabbits and quail. I have to haul water bottles for them a couple times a day, and I can't hang them wearing gloves or mittens. So, I had a discussion with hubby and the upshot is that the quail are all going to freezer camp, and I'm reducing the rabbits to one trio. Three regular cages only to care for, plus overflow of young ones growing out. That will be much easier for me to handle that the current 12 cages, not including babies. Nightmares. Gotta listen to them! We will start putting quail in the freezer tonight. There's only about 50-ish of them at the moment, but I still don't want to do them all in one day.

When you process quail, do you freeze them individually or as 2 or 4 packs? How big to they actually "dress out" (weight?)? Curious... And do you pluck or peel?

Hope that this arrangement works for you and helps!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom