North Carolina

Looking for a home for this guy (located western NC)! Beautiful approx 8 months old roo from Snobby Silkies & Faverolles stock. He lost his hen to a predator attack and was hanging out with my Brahmas but has started fighting my other rooster now. Located in Marshall but can meet in Asheville.

20211114_115437.jpg

I live in Belmont have been dreaming of owning chickens since I joined BackYard Chickens in 2015 and my dream is finally becoming a reality!! We will be first-time chicken owners once we get the coop put together and the chicken run built.

Based on my research, I feel it is best to start off with pullets vs day-old chicks. I'm still researching breeds but after a brief internet search, pullets seem very hard to find. I live in the Charlotte NC area and don't mind traveling a bit to purchase healthy, quality pullets. Does anyone have any recommendations of good farms that sell pullets?

Appreciate any and all help and suggestions!

That's so exciting! Be sure to make a build thread for your coop and run in that section of the forums.

I've currently got some birds for sale, but they might be gone by the time you're ready: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pullets-in-central-nc.1504284/

However, I hope to have more in the spring because it's working well for me to buy more chicks than I need from the mail-order hatcheries then sell the extras here or on Craigslist.

@baconeggs Margaret's Roost just on the other side of the SC border sells pullets. You can find her on Facebook. Got my two Easter Eggers from her. My first two chickens, a Rhode Island Red and a gold lace Wyandotte, I got as adults from a local backyard chicken owner who needed to thin out his flock. Think I came across his post on Craigslist.

I've done it! Bought an incubator.

So now a question -- What time of year do you think is best for hatching chicks in central NC?

I brood outdoors and I know that raising them in late May and June it was hard to keep them cool enough. My first thought was that March and April would be prime time for here?

Back
Top Bottom