North Carolina

Ok...I just HAD to share this with you all!! I am in the process of making the last batch of baby food when my cat brings something wiggling and drops it at my feet. First, all I can see is blood. NO idea what it is or anything - although I do know our screened-in-porch has some holes, so whatever "it" is...must have come through one of the holes. She (the cat) drops it at my feet and I look down. It LOOKS like a snake's tail.
ep.gif
I don't know anything about snakes, and they really don't bother me, so I am okay with it. I go get DD up from her nap and come back...the tail is gone (likely eaten by the cat) and she's "playing" with my shoe. I think the tail must be in my shoe, try to move it with the free arm that isn't hold the baby...and YIKES what was that flash?
lau.gif
the cat was tormenting/torturing a poor defenseless lizard. DD found it extremely funny and so I had to rescue it and put it back outside before it became a kitty snack.
barnie.gif
To think, if I had my coop, she would have been able to snack on the lizard as we would have been outside with the chicks...just goes to show you...I NEED that coop built....and soon!!
lau.gif
!! This time I am really logging off and getting ready for church!!
gig.gif

Quote:
Hatcher looks interesting! Humidity sounds good but you really need to have temp stay between 99.5-100 degrees for those little boogers to finish cookin.
wink.png
Good thing is you have time to play with it and get it set.
smile.png

Dope! So glad I asked! I read a thread about needing to turn down the heat during lockdown, but that must have been one person's bad advice. Here I've been trying to get the temp down without killing my humidity! I think I'll be able to adjust it no prob.
fl.gif
So here's another newbie question for you - Do I do lockdown before day 18 or just sometime during day 18? I know I'm a good ways away from then, but better to be prepared, right!!?? Thanks again!

PS - Ruthann - YAY!!!
woot.gif
on your coop! And that totally sounds like something my cat would do! Except she would somehow chase it into my drink or bra or something totally evil. Em, you think turkeys are evil!? You haven't met my demon cat!!!!!!
somad.gif

Quote:
Ruthann,

I am sorry to say you have the disease!!

It is very contaigous at present, especially amongst people living in NC. The first signs are falling in love with 4x2, second is caressing hardware cloth and wire, third is offering almost anything to another half to get a coop built.... you may also babble on about incubators, turners, humidity and temps, along with the occasional cuss word - egg - thrown in.

The only remedy is to get some chicks, start and grow feed, heat lamps, and in the Fall, if the condition persists to buy either a heated dog water bowl, a thermocube and if you have silkies a heatboard to be attached to the inside of your coop. The recovery rate is not too good, the disease will reoccur in the spring and it has also been known to empty a person's bank account and to force them to drive to see other addicts at special seminars called "Poultry Shows" where you get fed Brownies and all other types of nasty things...

My prognosis is that you have been infected...... welcome onboard......

Poultry shows are bad. You should avoid at all costs, unless you have ALOT of self control. I am skipping shows this and next month, mostly due to gas prices. I am seriously considering Newport, TN on May 7th.

Matt

Quote:
Hatcher looks interesting! Humidity sounds good but you really need to have temp stay between 99.5-100 degrees for those little boogers to finish cookin.
wink.png
Good thing is you have time to play with it and get it set.
smile.png

Dope! So glad I asked! I read a thread about needing to turn down the heat during lockdown, but that must have been one person's bad advice. Here I've been trying to get the temp down without killing my humidity! I think I'll be able to adjust it no prob.
fl.gif
So here's another newbie question for you - Do I do lockdown before day 18 or just sometime during day 18? I know I'm a good ways away from then, but better to be prepared, right!!?? Thanks again!

PS - Ruthann - YAY!!!
woot.gif
on your coop! And that totally sounds like something my cat would do! Except she would somehow chase it into my drink or bra or something totally evil. Em, you think turkeys are evil!? You haven't met my demon cat!!!!!!
somad.gif

A good rule of thumb is to lockdown on day 18 about the same time that you set. So if you set the bator at noon, go into lockdown at noon.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
fl.gif

PS - Ruthann - YAY!!!
woot.gif
somad.gif

A good rule of thumb is to lockdown on day 18 about the same time that you set. So if you set the bator at noon, go into lockdown at noon.
thumbsup.gif

Awesome - THANKS!!!

ps - got my cochin eggs today!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom