North Carolina

So many cute babies!!!!
big_smile.png

Well, I just wanted to pop over and let you all know I'm pretty sick right now
sad.png
Hopefully, in a day or 2 I'll get my feet under me again and can play catch up. Going to get some rest... take care all!

Good Morning NC Chickeneers
smile.png

I have read the many replies and will certainly make sure that I consult my fellow Chickeneers before I make an another purchase decision. We are first time chicken buyers and got over anxious I am certain of that.

We purchased a 10x12 building and Jason built a nice coop on the inside to one side of the building. Once I get past newbie status here I can post pics and share what he built. I am quite proud of him. He is the one that grew up with Chickens when he was a kids, even went to poultry shows.

I on the otherhand never owned one and never gave them the time of day.

Anyway, I will keep a watch for eggs. I will also give the girl a call back as I believe she will if nothing else help me find better birds at a better price since she got the $ for the duds (possible duds) she sold me.

I know she did not have them in another coop and moved them just for easy catching. She only had one coop in the open aired basement of a barn with large window (without glass) . It was about 15 ft wide and about 30 ft long. All of the birds were together amoung other chickens.

We wound up talking a couple of times after I got the hens and that is when she told me she herself was new to chickens since February of this year and was buying to resell and even added anything to make a few dollars. I told her I would love to have another Ameracauna and she called 2 days latter, her hubby was driving by my exit and let me pick from 6 or so Ameracauna hens (gave him $20) and brought home a very pretty blue wheaton who has been laying every other day since day one.

I do not think the girl I got them from knew who was laying and who was not laying aside from the Ameracauna's because they were laying the colorful eggs (her rooster is an Aracauna).

She didn't have nesting boxes but rather 2 round dishes turned on their side in the corner and their were eggs in those boxes when we got there. How could she have known if the reds or the orp was laying with the other chickens in there with that set up? I also do not think that the reds are too young to start laying as what tells me they may be older is their legs, feet, size and condition/look of feathers. They are big, have great weight, feathers are all in tact including tails, no breeding marks on their backs at all. Their feet/legs are what make me think they are older. One of them is actually missing toes. For their bodies and feathers to be so nice and their legs/feet to look so old makes me think they are older? Any thoughts there?

I don't get my feelings hurt easy however I do appreciate being handled with kid gloves by you guys as it is nice to feel welcome in a new world.

This is not a venture we have taken lightly and I look forward to picking you guys's brains and sharing what ever I can as I go along too.

Althought I do have a question about the red vs the Orp. The Orp looks just like the reds except a lighter color. When I get status I can post pics. Is there a difference that should be noticable between the 2 'breeds'?

Thank you guys so much for sharing and answering. I really do appreciate ALL of the replies.

Melisa

Quote:
X2 Everybody please look up Eric Church's video for "Carolina" WONDERFUL! Hey where are the N.C. folks, must see this beautiful video!

Last edited:
Quote:
If you mean rhode island reds "reds" and buff orps "orps, you can tell the difference first by the leg color. RIR's will have yellow legs and orps have white. If there body style is the same it is because they are probably just hatchery stock not breeder quality.

Keep in mind that if they are molting they will not let roosters breed them, actually do everything in their power to say NO to the roos.
wink.png
If they are at the beginning of the molt their feathers will still look o.k. for awhile till they start to shed them, or they could just be coming out of molt and have all new feathers hence the nice appearance. If she just got them and put them in her with other stock they may have come from a place that didn't have a rooster either. Something to think about.
smile.png

Here are just a few pics of some of my orps
Project lavenders
49849_lav_eggs.jpg

Exhibition Black Rooster
49849_dsc04932.jpg

7 week old pullet
49849_dsc05263.jpg

My American orps (just sold a few of them)
49849_dsc04844.jpg

Exhibition black orp hen
49849_dsc04340.jpg

Back
Top Bottom