North Carolina

Hi everyone, finally trying to catch up after days of prepping for the show and then the show yesterday. We took a total of 13 birds and yes all had to be bathed and beautified.
th.gif
Upon washing my handsome Biggie I realized he was not thru with his molt so decided to leave him at home and only take the one LF hen. I knew there were going to be some nice orps there but I made the show a "Special Meet" for the UOC so wanted to have at least one LF present. To my surprise my hen took Champion English!!!!
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
I was not expecting that at all but am extremely proud of her. There were 8 other LF orps and 16 total English birds in the class that she beat.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Congratulation!!! She is beautiful
thumbsup.gif

Hi everyone, finally trying to catch up after days of prepping for the show and then the show yesterday. We took a total of 13 birds and yes all had to be bathed and beautified.
th.gif
Upon washing my handsome Biggie I realized he was not thru with his molt so decided to leave him at home and only take the one LF hen. I knew there were going to be some nice orps there but I made the show a "Special Meet" for the UOC so wanted to have at least one LF present. To my surprise my hen took Champion English!!!!
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
I was not expecting that at all but am extremely proud of her. There were 8 other LF orps and 16 total English birds in the class that she beat.
big_smile.png

Good morning all..............

Firstly, sorry we ran out yesterday so quick, had a call to say that the dog sitters managed to lock themselves out of the house.......

A special hi to Sandy and Tommy - all thanks to them we have silkies....

Tricia, congrats to you.... It was good to see you all......

Had a good day, saw lots of old friends, sold my 6 silkie chicks (hooray), the 3 Dark Brahma males all have new homes, I came home with 2 light Brahma hens, # Partridge Silkies, a dozen hatching eggs (heaven) and over 3000 meal worms for my farm......

And I never got in to view the birds
barnie.gif

But all in all, we had a wonderful day, looking forward to Winston!

BTW, thanks to whoever nominated us for a BYC Friend Award, I only noticed it on my profile this morning.....

Last edited:
Wow! I love how your coop is turning out. Very nice. My dh would tell me no way too much $$$$ for chickens....lol, maybe if I do really well with our first flock and want to continue into maybe raising silkies or whatever breed I turn to love he might. I am
droolin.gif
over yours. I am planning on having a minium of 6 in there, but I want to make it big enough for 10.
this is where i am at but I used alot of scrap from jobs and a deck i took apart! I am wishing I made it a little bit bigger like 7x8 instead of 5x6 but no biggie. There is a guy selling shipping crates in wilmington for 10$ you can make a pretty good sized coop with it. how many chicks are you going to have. We said 5 there is 8 here now....

I need yalls advice. I got 4 12 week old silkies, 1 roo & 3 hens. They have a chicken coop but it is not air tight. Its windy and cold here. Temps are only gonna be 45 for next 2 days and down to 22 at night. (And we have flurries..boooooo!) Should I bring them inside and keep in a tote? Im just nervous they are too young and gonna get too cold. I do have a light..the kind a mechanic would use...I could hang that with a 100wt in the coop? Suggestions welcomed!

woot.gif
awesome!!! big congratulations

ps u have mail

th.gif
woot.gif
celebrate.gif
ep.gif
big_smile.png

I need yalls advice. I got 4 12 week old silkies, 1 roo & 3 hens. They have a chicken coop but it is not air tight. Its windy and cold here. Temps are only gonna be 45 for next 2 days and down to 22 at night. (And we have flurries..boooooo!) Should I bring them inside and keep in a tote? Im just nervous they are too young and gonna get too cold. I do have a light..the kind a mechanic would use...I could hang that with a 100wt in the coop? Suggestions welcomed!

Yes, I would bring them in too... Can you not draft proof it?

Hey, Kristan B,

I'm not entirely sure if silkies are more or less hardy than other breeds, but I'm in central North Carolina and have found chickens to be much hardier in general than I had originally expected. If they are completely feathered out, which yours should be by now, they should be OK as long as not exposed directly to icy drafts. Is your coop completely enclosed or does it have an open side? If you wanted to hang your mechanics light in the enclosed coop, that might help a little, too, and perhaps give you further peace of mind. Check them out in the evening when they are up on their roost and see if they are bunched together for warmth or just lounging about. That could be an indication too. By the way, you don't happen to know John Smiley over in Bakersville do you? I think he will be getting one of our coops this summer. Good luck!

Hey KristanB,

This might make you feel better too. From Henderson's Handy-Dandy Chicken Chart online re: silkies:

"hardy in heat & cold; because of fancy feathering,not suited for foul weather"

But, of course, if you're really worried about it and have the space and a tote, bring 'em in! Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom