North Dakota

Pics
Hello! Finally getting around to posting - recently moved back to the great state of ND, having moved to MN for husband/school/job for the past 7 years. We are located down in the Hettinger area (SW corner) and I am trying to rebuild the flock numbers....had to do some narrowing down for the move! Will wait til spring for more additions but interested in bantys; cochins; and some fun egg layers! Would love to do some local purchasing - let me know if you have any of what I'd like! (Honestly if it has feathers and lays an egg I'll probably like it haha)

Currently have 3 hatchery americauna hens; who have sired and raised all my current "babies" who are now full grown and half grown; a banty/serema rooster cross who is around purely for my own enjoyment; and my batches of homegrown mixed chicks. 15 birds total.

Can anyone help me with classifying the colors?? (The "purple"?? rooster - and the multi color hen) Pretty much a total newbie to chickens but having lived my whole life on a farm/ranch I am very familiar to animal husbandry...chickens are a blast! Look forward to "Meeting" some more chicken crazies in the area. My husband thinks I'm nuts so it'll be nice not to be the only one around hah.

Enjoy!

Color of this one??

Color?

Spunky cats this morning

Very nosey critters...

These little guys are the half grown ones from a few photos ago! First time I had a hen go and sit on a hidden nest and boom; I'M ADDICTED. So easy when you have a good momma (just like cows hah!) I was pretty surprised, out of the 12 eggs - 8 hatched and only 2 roosters. Hopefully they'll be laying by spring - hatched end of August.

Hello! Finally getting around to posting - recently moved back to the great state of ND, having moved to MN for husband/school/job for the past 7 years. We are located down in the Hettinger area (SW corner) and I am trying to rebuild the flock numbers....had to do some narrowing down for the move! Will wait til spring for more additions but interested in bantys; cochins; and some fun egg layers! Would love to do some local purchasing - let me know if you have any of what I'd like! (Honestly if it has feathers and lays an egg I'll probably like it haha)

Currently have 3 hatchery americauna hens; who have sired and raised all my current "babies" who are now full grown and half grown; a banty/serema rooster cross who is around purely for my own enjoyment; and my batches of homegrown mixed chicks. 15 birds total.

Can anyone help me with classifying the colors?? (The "purple"?? rooster - and the multi color hen) Pretty much a total newbie to chickens but having lived my whole life on a farm/ranch I am very familiar to animal husbandry...chickens are a blast! Look forward to "Meeting" some more chicken crazies in the area. My husband thinks I'm nuts so it'll be nice not to be the only one around hah.

Enjoy!

Color of this one??

Color?

Spunky cats this morning

Very nosey critters...

These little guys are the half grown ones from a few photos ago! First time I had a hen go and sit on a hidden nest and boom; I'M ADDICTED. So easy when you have a good momma (just like cows hah!) I was pretty surprised, out of the 12 eggs - 8 hatched and only 2 roosters. Hopefully they'll be laying by spring - hatched end of August.

Welcome!!
I am from Richardton.

There is not a lot of us North Dakotans so some of us are also in the Surviving Minnesota Thread.

Very pretty birds! Some of your birds actually remind me of Wyandottes, but I do not know much about Amercaunas
hu.gif

If you are still looking for birds next spring I will have both chicks of a barnyard mix, and purebred hens.

I also breed LF Blue, Black, and Splash Cochins.

If you have kids I recommend joining a local 4H group, they will have a lot of fun! Being as I am almost 15 I am in 4H and absolutely love it!!!

@EMorical What made you move from beautiful Minnesota to a windy sand pit!?
lau.gif

If you want to make a trip back to MN I will be selling mutts and some Buckeyes this spring! Buckeyes are out of show birds and the mixes are out of Buckeye or Cochin roosters and a mixed flock of hens!

Here is a few pics!

Thanks for the welcome @I Love Layers ! No real human children, just lots of fur and feather children - but I was in 4-H for 16+ years and loved every minute! Didn't have poultry back then so no chicken showing for me. I'll keep you in mind next spring and see if you have any birds that might fit what I'm lookin for! Thanks! (I have family in Bismarck so we head that way a lot; could easily make a pit stop)

@EMorical What made you move from beautiful Minnesota to a windy sand pit!?
lau.gif

If you want to make a trip back to MN I will be selling mutts and some Buckeyes this spring! Buckeyes are out of show birds and the mixes are out of Buckeye or Cochin roosters and a mixed flock of hens!

Here is a few pics!

LL

OH MY GOSH! So cute! That grey one....a cochin? Is it a she or a he? (the big one)

I am originally from this area....my little soul can't get enough of the windy prairie and all its wildlife
yesss.gif
I also have a husband who fell in love with the landscape, lifestyle and the hunting haha. And we run beef cattle, so a little more economic to run cattle here than find left over land in MN between the crops and swamps and woods and lakes. What part of MN are you in!!!!! We left all the in laws back in MN and make frequent trips back! Alexandria area; and some down in Montevideo.

The grey hens and splash rooster are Cochins!

We are by Detroit Lakes! We run beef cattle here... Its too hilly for machinery
wink.png

The grey hens and splash rooster are Cochins!

We are by Detroit Lakes! We run beef cattle here... Its too hilly for machinery
wink.png

Wonderful looking birds. Do you find that you have any problems listed that come along with that breed? (more susceptible to mites/lice and clogged vent feathers, specifically) It's hard to know how more hands-on some birds are when you read the breed reviews b/c some owners are more critical than others when they write out pros and cons....
I have an aunt in DL
big_smile.png
She makes frequent trips to Hettinger. We might have to work out a chicken drop sometime haha

Wonderful looking birds. Do you find that you have any problems listed that come along with that breed? (more susceptible to mites/lice and clogged vent feathers, specifically) It's hard to know how more hands-on some birds are when you read the breed reviews b/c some owners are more critical than others when they write out pros and cons....
I have an aunt in DL
big_smile.png
She makes frequent trips to Hettinger. We might have to work out a chicken drop sometime haha

I havent noticed those problems. But they can get mites just like any other birds. But I always dust my birds and coop.

Whos your aunt?!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom