North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
I'll have a few ducklings for sale. Kahki cambells and a few welsh Harlequin. They are just starting to hatch so hoping all goes well. I'll also have Georgia giant bobwhite quail, coturnix Quail and possibly ring neck pheasants. Pm me if interested

Hello from Spirit Lake/Athol area! I am a newbie with chicks in the brooder and a bigger coop being finished. I have a small coop that I inherited from my sister along with her three hens..
Chicken math got ahold of me pretty quick. I have 8 more chicks on order for sometime this summer. I am looking to network with others in this area.

I just noticed on craigslist Spokane Someone is selling 13 chickens for $10 a head plus the coop thrown in for good measure. Seems a good deal to me...But Im already at max cap... Just spreading the 411

Since there are some newbies here: One has to watch out for those good deals. It could be they just don't want to hassle with chickens anymore, and it IS a good deal. However, they may be older hens that aren't laying well anymore, in which case you've paid ten dollars each for a stew hen and won't get the eggs anticipated.

Check out the hens legs to see how old they might be. A pullet will have smoother, sort of glossy legs with brighter yellow, or whatever the breed color may be. Older are faded, a bit dry and scaly looking, sort of like my own legs, LOL. I'm certainly no expert in this, so google for more info, but it's not unlike our own legs. I wish mine still looked like they did when I was young. Heck, even my thirties or forties! But looking at the legs does give an indication of the age of the hen so you don't get someone's culls. Hope this helps.

Since there are some newbies here: One has to watch out for those good deals. It could be they just don't want to hassle with chickens anymore, and it IS a good deal. However, they may be older hens that aren't laying well anymore, in which case you've paid ten dollars each for a stew hen and won't get the eggs anticipated.

Check out the hens legs to see how old they might be. A pullet will have smoother, sort of glossy legs with brighter yellow, or whatever the breed color may be. Older are faded, a bit dry and scaly looking, sort of like my own legs, LOL. I'm certainly no expert in this, so google for more info, but it's not unlike our own legs. I wish mine still looked like they did when I was young. Heck, even my thirties or forties! But looking at the legs does give an indication of the age of the hen so you don't get someone's culls. Hope this helps.
Yep, proceed with caution on great deals! Great suggestion to check out the legs!

Hello from Spirit Lake/Athol area! I am a newbie with chicks in the brooder and a bigger coop being finished. I have a small coop that I inherited from my sister along with her three hens..
Chicken math got ahold of me pretty quick. I have 8 more chicks on order for sometime this summer. I am looking to network with others in this area.
Welcome!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Chicken math eventually gets most of us! LOL!

North Idaho area here. Athol. Brand new to chicks. 2 weeks ago got 4 Buff Orpington pullets. Will get 14 Black Laced Silver Wyandotte pullets and one male end of week. Have been reading up on this website, a lot of great info to learn from. So excited about my new endeavor. And to learn.

North Idaho area here. Athol. Brand new to chicks. 2 weeks ago got 4 Buff Orpington pullets. Will get 14 Black Laced Silver Wyandotte pullets and one male end of week. Have been reading up on this website, a lot of great info to learn from. So excited about my new endeavor. And to learn.
welcome-byc.gif

ya.gif
D.gif
clap.gif

Welcome Lena Mae! I have ran into quite a few chicken people from Athol, and I've picked up a few chickens there myself. 4+14 ? That's some pretty fast-acting chicken math!

I have a pullet that is becoming a favorite. She is a gold laced Wyandotte. I have the chicks/pullets (When do they cease to be chicks and become pullets?) in a cardboard veggie bin. I now have plastic fencing over the top to keep them from flying out. The coop has been delayed for three weeks now due to work schedule and illness and they are getting so big I'm panicking a bit. But so far only slight aggression. Anyway this one bird "Winnie" flies to the feeder when I pull it out to refill and then calmly snuggles in for a pet...My heart melts!

Questions: The poop seems smellier and looser...I'm a bit concerned. I've been doing the vinegar and yogurt....Did I do it wrong or should I be doing something else?
When I move the chicks/pullets to the coop, the windows will be covered with hardware cloth because they won't get delivered until next week. Our nights have been in the high twenties, low thirties. with days between low fifties to seventies forcast..Do they need a heat lamp or should I still bring them inside? They are 4 weeks to 7 weeks with the majority at 6 weeks.

My black laced silver is one of my favorite girls. If I ever lose her I know where to get some hatching eggs. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom