North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SusanRenee, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I'm new to BYC.. I live in Spirit Lake Idaho...Just started in June 2015 with 7 and now I have 21, mostly rare breeds

French Black/Blue Copper Marans
    Wheaten Marans
    Barnvelder
    Ameracauna
    Crested Cream Legbar
    Welsummer
    Brahma
    White Rock
    Red Star
    Leghorn

1 person likes this.
  2. UGLYFOOT

UGLYFOOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho

Oh boy sounds like "chicken math" got you too. Ha ha. I started with 3 hand me down older hens from my sister. Added 9 more chicks this spring. If my summer order of chicks had survived the USPS, that would have been 8 more. We had a rooster that someone had dumped with his two brothers wander into our yard, we thought he was pretty and kept him. I really, really want some of the super rare breed and would love to start hatching. OH BTW I am in the Spirit Lake area too!

Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  3. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    ROFL chicken math is horrible!!

I originally wanted only 8 or 9 chickens, didn't want to hatch my own yet.

We have 7 ameraucana (sexes mostly unknown as yet), 8 welsummer (sexes obvious: 3 m, 5 f), 4 BCM chicks (thinking 2 of each) and 1 D'uccle chick (BOY). And 3 Araucana eggs in the bator doing well, due in 1 week, 10 other araucana eggs not doing so well that I can see due on the 28th, then another dozen BCM just placed in the bator too... Because my mother in law wants 4 hens, my husband's coworkers would like a couple of hens to replace her aging layers... Yeah... And the excess boys shall be in freezer camp too...

4. Yes...MOST Definitely! At first I was like...okay 7 hens and 1 Rooster are good! What am I going to do with all those eggs! Then we ran out of eggs! My doctor wants me to eat 5 eggs daily. I was skeptical on the yokes, so she said okay 4 1/2 yokes!!! [​IMG].. Well my family loves egg salad, egg everything so I was going through 1 flat a week! I prep four days of lunches so I used only 15-20 whites with 3-5 yokes maybe. Remaining yokes I would scramble and give back to the chickens.

Anyway I only thought chickens laid white & light brown eggs. After much research and still learning everyday, I was excited to have different colored eggs, and my quest began searching for the different egg colored breeds. I currently have 15 hens and 5 roosters, lost a few to some critters. In the spring I want to hatch out pure breds and sell the chicks to make my money back I spent on my flock. Then after that...I would just like keep my own stock going. So ends up I bought an incubator. If I have extra chickens I will sell them and friends allready want eggs and chickens before they hatch!!! They've been giving me their empty egg cartons! [​IMG]

5. Uglyfoot! Cool! It's nice to know other chicken owners in the area :) I see a bunch of chickens on Hwy 41 by Twin Lakes roaming the highway at times!!! They are brave!

6. UGLYFOOT

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I think my husband thinks I'm crazy! I am looking at an auction now for 25+ chicks!! Four breeds that I have had my eye on, Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbars, Isbars and Bielefelders. Then I want some SHOWGIRLS!!! Those are so cool.. I also want Svart Honas or Ayam Cemanis. All this started because I wanted pretty chickens who laid pretty eggs..

1 person likes this.
  7. I think thats great! I need to buy another Wheaten Marans Rooster to mate with my Wheaten Hens. The Roos have the prettiest feathers.

I have 2 of the breeds you are looking for: French Black Copper Marans (feathered legs) and Cream Legbars (Greenfire farms stock). I agree pretty chickens do lay pretty eggs! Here are some pics of my Flock:

1) Cream Legbars, FBCM Roo, Easter Egger, Wheaten Ameracauna
    [​IMG]
    2) My Wheaten Marans Trio
    [​IMG]
    3) Barnevelders
    [​IMG]
    4) FBCM Hens & French Blue Copper Marans Roo
    [​IMG]
    5) Crested Cream Legbar Hatchmates
    [​IMG]

9. UGLYFOOT

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I will have to come check out your birds. I love the Barnevelders those are beautiful. Oh and I want favarolles and cochins too. Gosh I'm gonna have 50 chickens before I'm done I'm afraid. What the heck am I gonna do with all those eggs?? I sell extras at work, guess I'll have to start advertising... Lol

1 person likes this.
  10. UGLYFOOT

Apr 5, 2015
    Spirit Lake, Idaho
    I will have to come check out your birds. I love the Barnevelders those are beautiful. Oh and I want favarolles too! Gosh I'm gonna have 50 or more chickens before I'm done. What the heck am I gonna do with all those eggs?? I sell extras at work, guess I'll have to start advertising... Lol

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by