North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
I'm new to BYC.. I live in Spirit Lake Idaho...Just started in June 2015 with 7 and now I have 21, mostly rare breeds

French Black/Blue Copper Marans
Wheaten Marans
Barnvelder
Ameracauna
Crested Cream Legbar
Welsummer
Brahma
White Rock
Red Star
Leghorn

Oh boy sounds like "chicken math" got you too. Ha ha. I started with 3 hand me down older hens from my sister. Added 9 more chicks this spring. If my summer order of chicks had survived the USPS, that would have been 8 more. We had a rooster that someone had dumped with his two brothers wander into our yard, we thought he was pretty and kept him. I really, really want some of the super rare breed and would love to start hatching. OH BTW I am in the Spirit Lake area too!

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
ROFL chicken math is horrible!!

I originally wanted only 8 or 9 chickens, didn't want to hatch my own yet.

We have 7 ameraucana (sexes mostly unknown as yet), 8 welsummer (sexes obvious: 3 m, 5 f), 4 BCM chicks (thinking 2 of each) and 1 D'uccle chick (BOY). And 3 Araucana eggs in the bator doing well, due in 1 week, 10 other araucana eggs not doing so well that I can see due on the 28th, then another dozen BCM just placed in the bator too... Because my mother in law wants 4 hens, my husband's coworkers would like a couple of hens to replace her aging layers... Yeah... And the excess boys shall be in freezer camp too...

Yes...MOST Definitely! At first I was like...okay 7 hens and 1 Rooster are good! What am I going to do with all those eggs! Then we ran out of eggs! My doctor wants me to eat 5 eggs daily. I was skeptical on the yokes, so she said okay 4 1/2 yokes!!!
lau.gif
.. Well my family loves egg salad, egg everything so I was going through 1 flat a week! I prep four days of lunches so I used only 15-20 whites with 3-5 yokes maybe. Remaining yokes I would scramble and give back to the chickens.

Anyway I only thought chickens laid white & light brown eggs. After much research and still learning everyday, I was excited to have different colored eggs, and my quest began searching for the different egg colored breeds. I currently have 15 hens and 5 roosters, lost a few to some critters. In the spring I want to hatch out pure breds and sell the chicks to make my money back I spent on my flock. Then after that...I would just like keep my own stock going. So ends up I bought an incubator. If I have extra chickens I will sell them and friends allready want eggs and chickens before they hatch!!! They've been giving me their empty egg cartons!
smile.png

I think my husband thinks I'm crazy! I am looking at an auction now for 25+ chicks!! Four breeds that I have had my eye on, Black Copper Marans, Cream Legbars, Isbars and Bielefelders. Then I want some SHOWGIRLS!!! Those are so cool.. I also want Svart Honas or Ayam Cemanis. All this started because I wanted pretty chickens who laid pretty eggs..

I think thats great! I need to buy another Wheaten Marans Rooster to mate with my Wheaten Hens. The Roos have the prettiest feathers.

I have 2 of the breeds you are looking for: French Black Copper Marans (feathered legs) and Cream Legbars (Greenfire farms stock). I agree pretty chickens do lay pretty eggs! Here are some pics of my Flock:

1) Cream Legbars, FBCM Roo, Easter Egger, Wheaten Ameracauna

2) My Wheaten Marans Trio

3) Barnevelders

4) FBCM Hens & French Blue Copper Marans Roo

5) Crested Cream Legbar Hatchmates

I think thats great! I need to buy another Wheaten Marans Rooster to mate with my Wheaten Hens. The Roos have the prettiest feathers.

I have 2 of the breeds you are looking for: French Black Copper Marans (feathered legs) and Cream Legbars (Greenfire farms stock). I agree pretty chickens do lay pretty eggs! Here are some pics of my Flock:

1) Cream Legbars, FBCM Roo, Easter Egger, Wheaten Ameracauna

2) My Wheaten Marans Trio: The rooster will have teal blue, deep red feathers,
he will lose that black

3) Barnevelders

4) FBCM Hens & French Blue Copper Marans Roo

5) Crested Cream Legbar Hatchmates

I will have to come check out your birds. I love the Barnevelders those are beautiful. Oh and I want favarolles and cochins too. Gosh I'm gonna have 50 chickens before I'm done I'm afraid. What the heck am I gonna do with all those eggs?? I sell extras at work, guess I'll have to start advertising... Lol

I will have to come check out your birds. I love the Barnevelders those are beautiful. Oh and I want favarolles too! Gosh I'm gonna have 50 or more chickens before I'm done. What the heck am I gonna do with all those eggs?? I sell extras at work, guess I'll have to start advertising... Lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom