North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Pics
@IAMADOL I wouldn't be worried about the looser stool, there us a big range of what is normal, and they do tend to get more odor to them as the chicks grow.

For the temperature question, I would try o get them climatized, so start by setting the whole box out during the day to start. That will give them a chance to adjust slowly. Many people say that they should be fully feathered by six weeks, but if they go from a 70 degree house to a 30 degree coop all the sudden, that could be hard on them.

We are getting closer to a house with land! I'm super excited. We got our preapproval, and are looking at a whole HUGE list of houses tomorrow. We went to a couple of open houses over the weekend, found one out of our price range that my husband fell in love with...
hmm.png
And here I thought I had expensive taste. But I must say I loved the outbuildings they had on that one. Why didn't anyone ever tell me that chicken math also turns into duck and geese math? Because I've started reading up about them, but of course none of the properties we're looking at has streams/ponds, so we'd have to build one or have kiddy pools...

@pips&peeps How are Sebastopols at being predator alarms?

Hi neighbors! I am new to chickens and live near Cabela's. We have lavender Orpingtons, 4 girls and one boy. We got them about a month ago as pullets and they are getting bigger everyday, but my husband is anxious for them to start laying. We are also finishing up a duck house and run in hopes of finding 2 or 3 nice egg producers.

welcome-byc.gif

I myself am also fairly new here. Have been a member since Feb, but we're just getting our chicks in the mail tomorrow (Ameraucaunas and Welsummers) and also received 3 doz hatching eggs today that we're going to set to see if we hatch any (Black Copper Maran [mix probably] and Belgian D'uccle bantams). Currently located in Rathdrum temporarily until our house near Athol is finished being built (hoping less than 2 months left. Could be 3... ugh). But my in-laws said we could get some chicks to start at their place. Thinking of building a hoop coop w/1 end enclosed for them while here, then their permanent one once our house is finished. My husband is just now starting to worry we didn't plan enough for the chicks lol. I told him that last week when he told me to order them.

welcome-byc.gif

I myself am also fairly new here. Have been a member since Feb, but we're just getting our chicks in the mail tomorrow (Ameraucaunas and Welsummers) and also received 3 doz hatching eggs today that we're going to set to see if we hatch any (Black Copper Maran [mix probably] and Belgian D'uccle bantams). Currently located in Rathdrum temporarily until our house near Athol is finished being built (hoping less than 2 months left. Could be 3... ugh). But my in-laws said we could get some chicks to start at their place. Thinking of building a hoop coop w/1 end enclosed for them while here, then their permanent one once our house is finished. My husband is just now starting to worry we didn't plan enough for the chicks lol. I told him that last week when he told me to order them.

If you purchased your birds from Western WA, be careful to make sure they do not have yellow skin or are carrying it. There have been a few people get ameraucanas and welsummers from a certain breeder that is producing this.

If they have yellow skin they are considered EE.

If you purchased your birds from Western WA, be careful to make sure they do not have yellow skin or are carrying it. There have been a few people get ameraucanas and welsummers from a certain breeder that is producing this.

If they have yellow skin they are considered EE.
How can I tell if they have yellow skin? By the color of their legs? Or by picking them up to try and look thru the fluff? Their legs are a slate-y color. They're black, one blue and one splash.

Hey all,

If I were to get a hold of some Ayam Cemani chicks in the next few month or even in the spring would anyone in the area be interested in buying some? I am not talking for the $199.00 price tag either. I would not be able to guarantee show quality of the birds because I would be getting them sight unseen of course. I am just interested in having a couple in my flock because I want some very different birds. My flock will eventually be a myriad of bird colors and egg colors. Looking at the website of this breeder, their birds appear to be very black in color and nice looking, Please give me your feedback either way.

Back
Top Bottom