North Idaho / Eastern Washington

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SusanRenee, Jul 20, 2012.

1. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    YA!! it is so nice when incubating goes well, huh? So happy for you and your duck/geese. Do you sell your geeseor eggs? Do they eat alot? Are they good foragers?, Do they fly, probably not they look heavy. are they easy to catch, since they are big, or are they fast runners? how heavy is your heaviest? sorry so many Q's I am just curious. and yours are beautiful.

2. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    I will have to say I don't know for all of these... (I bought the eggs on ebay [​IMG]) I am assuming that yes, they do eat quite a bit reading how other BYCers have to block the chicken coop so they can't go eat all the food. Yes, they are good foragers/weed eaters. As far as I know, they don't fly because they are too heavy. Other than that, I've heard that goose eggs taste better than duck or chicken, but are more cholesterol. I am excited b/c when I was a teen, I loved to paint/decorate blown eggs, and these are such a nice size I think they'll make some awesome ornaments/gifts!

3. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Candling show a definite 15 of my eggs have veining, possibly 5 to 10 more, but it was hard to tell. I'm pretty sure 4 were clear, but I will wait until day 14 or so to remove and eggtopsie.

4. country lovin

country lovin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2015
    Rockford Washington
    [​IMG]

5. Hawk12

Hawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    What does everyone run their humidity at?

6. Hawk12

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    I have some of my breeder eggs coming next week and I want to give them the best possible chance to hatch.

7. country lovin

country lovin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2015
    Rockford Washington
    i run my incubator dry but it reads arount 40% in our house. then at lockdown i add a dish about 3x3 with about an inch of water that bumps in up to about 50.

8. Hawk12

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    Thanks, I just ordered a new hygrometer because I don't think the ones I have are accurate. They always read between 20 and 30% but my air cells look small for where they are. The one I ordered is used for cigars but in my case for incubation ;)

9. Saris

Saris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    I aim for 35%
    Don't forget to calibrate it. I would always go by aircell size over what a hygrometer says.

10. Hawk12

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    The hygrometer is digital and is one of the Accurite that is also a thermometer. The one I ordered is strictly a hygrometer and I bought a kit that assists in calibrating it. I know I could do it myself but figured the first time around I would use the kit. My air cells have looked pretty good but still seem small. I waited to increase humidity until this morning (which is day 19) but I'm nervous because of the air cell sizes. I'll keep you all updated.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by