North to Alaska!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by akpeeps, Aug 27, 2008.

1. allsummedup

allsummedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Sierra Vista, Arizona
    Yea and I'm hoping it will grow into that.

2. wesj

wesj Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Fairbanks,AK
    Morning,
    Looking for anyone that might have some Cornish in the area really hate to order 25 from hatchery as what I am looking at doing is self sustain meat birds by crossing em with other large body birds plus eggs all self sustaining.

Huge undertaking as I really don't wana use electricity in coop but thru the year. Eventually will be totaly out in bush and trying to get multipurpose birds that don't require heat in winter months or doing a small radiator running off a wood stove in house and pump it out to the radiator

3. Alaska Fowl INC

Alaska Fowl INC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Fairbanks ALASKA
    Huge undertaking<<<<[​IMG]
    Yes sir,,,Great idea,,,,Hope for you success.
    I have been looking for the Bantam cornish for same purpose. I have some one who has me on their list for the end of summer when they cull out.I was looking to get a a trio or more of adult birds.
    You are looking for lg fowl I presume?
    I would just order.
    Finding anyone who keeps cornish and a cornish roo, with out the birds being cross breed is far inbetween in the interior,,,,Goodluck with that.[​IMG]

4. wesj

wesj Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Fairbanks,AK
    yes Large breed. figure if I do a very well feathered bird with the very small combs I could possibly just butcher the young for food keep the pure ones for eggs. Also want a broody one or two so they raise the chicks and I don't have to do a thing with em

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Just get Brahmas.

Good feather, tiny combs, lay eggs, friendly, not very many go broody, but as they get older they might.

6. Alaska Fowl INC

Mar 24, 2013
    Fairbanks ALASKA
    I agree ,,I got six [​IMG]that lay like crazy...[​IMG]
    Just make a small igloo cooler hatcher/bator. Easy to make,,,And I am sure if you were savy enough you could run this small set up off a 12 volt battery supply. Plus hook that battery up to on of those generator that work of peddle power ..power that sucker up every few hrs or so...If you got kids this would be better. I think you could run a very small solar that would keep a battery tended...
    Life off the grid..I been contemplating it..[​IMG]
    Just not in this state,,,teheh .
    More like Hilo Hawaii area.....[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  7. wesj

wesj Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2013
    Fairbanks,AK
    lived in HI .. not again ever.
    and looking at Brama's and Orphingtons kinda have heard the Oprphingtons go broody eaisly which is a good thing .. also will have the Cornish so both of em and make sure the Roo is Cornish.

Also won't hurt if the feathers are a dark one as I trap so it would def help out

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  8. BolanSixx

BolanSixx Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2013
    Alaska
    May I ask why you've chosen Hilo for a place to live off the grid?

9. Alaska Fowl INC

Mar 24, 2013
    Fairbanks ALASKA
    Plenty of water and sunshine....and just as cheap here ..From what I experienced...WHY YOU ask?..

10. Alaska Fowl INC

Mar 24, 2013
    Fairbanks ALASKA
    Issues with the 50th state...Were you a bad howley over there,,,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by