NORTHERN California!

Pics
Another animal rehoming request.

Sharon my friend with cancer must rehome these two amazing blue-pointed RAG DOLL cats, born in 2000, so 11 years old. Fabulous health, all current on shots of course, these gorgeous boys (both boys) just lounge and are called Rag Doll cats because they just are like big fluffy ragdolls when they are held.

She paid quite a bit of money for them as they are purebreds. These are FREE to the right home.... please PM if you are interested

Here some info on the breed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll

41441_dsc06742.jpg

41441_dsc06732.jpg

41441_dsc06744.jpg

41441_dsc06734.jpg

41441_dsc06737.jpg

Quote:
Are you still having problems with rats? Make sure to keep feed off of the ground- a hanging feeder might help, but still watch for spilled feed. I was having issues with rain getting in my feeder and resulting in a soggy mess, so I got in the habit of throwing out a few scoops into the run every day, that way they eat it all that day and I don't have to worry about it getting soaked or having spillage for the rats.

I have a couple cats and every once in awhile I'll find the disembodied head and pile o' guts of a random rodent next to my chicken run, so I know they're definitely out there! Just not at a level where I see them all the time.

My rats are hooooorrible! They have taken up residence in my coop now. I had a nest box that I was keeping DE and extra shavings in since the ladies weren't using it and they tore open the bag of DE and scattered it, and started living in the shavings. We've been using a pellet gun (well, my BF has), tried traps, and I think I'm going to try bait through the hole in the fence to the neighbors wood pile that I'm pretty sure they are coming through. There is poo in my nesting boxes and that is the last straw!!

Quote:
Have you talked to your neighbors? They might not want a giant rat colony in their wood pile.. then again, they may not care.
smile.png
My parents in McKinleyville had a neighbor with a severely overgrown front yard. It was BAD. They were getting rats like crazy - one day my mom was talking to the health department to see if there was anything they could do about it, the cat grabbed a rat right in front of her! The cat was in heaven with all the rats, but I think what ended up happening was the health department came out and said they had to do something about it. Once the yard was cleared back hey, no more rats.

Interesting that you all have problems with rats.... If the rats are not too big my chickens seem to take care of them pretty easily. If I'm in the barn and I see the whole flock chasing after one chicken, I know that the chicken probably has a nice juicy mouse or rat.
sickbyc.gif
My cats also seem to do a pretty good job keeping the rat population down.

Last edited:
Howdy chickenstricken, and welcome!

My chickens do a number on snails, which is awesome for my garden, but ignore the rats completely! I got some bait blocks today, going to try and assemble stations out of pvc. See how that goes!

Hi, newbie here! I got you all beat on being the most northern, I live in Crescent City (30 minutes from the Oregon border)! Anybody close? We are just starting out, but always looking for new chicks or hatching eggs. We also are looking for a home for an EE named Princess who, while very friendly (she will hop up on my lap and let my 2 year old pet her) is terrorized by the other chickens and we would like to find a home nearby where she can free range or be around banties, so she wont get picked on. Anybody?

HI! I'm a new northern CA member also...I am in Palermo, CA. Small town about 1.5 hours north of Sacramento. I am just starting my chicken venture
wink.png
Coop is almost complete and will be adopting a rooster and some hens from a locasl rescue group within a week or so. Excited about all the great info here! Already been of great help while building my coop!

Back
Top Bottom