Northern/Central California Show

Lil Chickie Mama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
California
Are there any shows in Northern or Central California? I am just starting out, but I'm already addicted! You darn enablers!!!
barnie.gif
Any-who... The only "show" I can find is the Stanislaus County Fair that has a poultry exhibit. Oh, and the San Joaquin County Fair doesn't have a poultry exhibit as far as I can tell. What the hey? Shouldn't every fair have a poultry exhibit?
rant.gif
somad.gif

So if you know of a show in Northern or Central California P-L-E-A-S-E tell me!!!

California seems pretty quiet in the chicken world.... I finally figured out a chickenstock is like a woodstock....a big party with chicken folk. The midwest folk seem to embrace them more wholeheartedly than us Calif folk. I'd be up for a meeting and swap. Nothing much to swap right now, but soon!

Central Coast Feather Fanciers just had a "mini chicken Woodstock" in my area where folks brought their stock and chicken people met up. Seemed like a good attendance from when I was there (everything was gone within an hour into it lol). It's small, but catching on for sure!

But it's true, Cali doesn't seem to have as much as other states. I was having a heck of a time finding local shows, but I do know they have some at Paso Robles Fair Grounds (4-H does a lot of shows there and there is a show time to time and also July they have poultry there) and in Ventura Fair Grounds (they had a show on Easter, and I know they show them in August for fair time) and people bring stock to sell (depends how willing you are to drive far, at fair time you can talk to the owners to see if they have stock). I also believe Fresno holds a pretty big show; but I do believe that has passed. I'm new to the chicken world too (I showed and raised rabbits for 12 years though) and seems like everything has passed.

If anyone has a 2009/2010 of shows please share!
love.gif

Also I hear the Stockton show is a biggie.

Quote:
Darn! Stockton is just down the road from me (well 50 miles but well within easy driving distance). I'd be interesting in knowing if there are any shows coming up in Northern Cali. I've shown dogs for 20+ years and would love to see how the chicken folks work a show.

What kind of wabbits did you show? I have a friend up here who is active showing fuzzy lops.

Quote:
Darn! Stockton is just down the road from me (well 50 miles but well within easy driving distance). I'd be interesting in knowing if there are any shows coming up in Northern Cali. I've shown dogs for 20+ years and would love to see how the chicken folks work a show.

What kind of wabbits did you show? I have a friend up here who is active showing fuzzy lops.

My folks used to show dogs, and I've always had them and been around that realm...so I know how the show ring goes!
lol.png
I'm always watching the AKC show when it's on. I would love to get into klee kais (they are still in development, mini husky but much personable) or Irish wolfhounds and a few other breeds!

Chicken shows are a new thing to me as well, but as I have well learned shows are a good place to meet people and find various breeds and breeders.
smile.png
And it seems like they are mainly over for the year, but I'll do some digging and see if there are any in your neck of the woods and I'll let you know.
big_smile.png

I used to show and breed jersey woolies (my main focus), holland lops and mini rexes. I really miss it and plan to get right back into it as soon as I can. I started on fuzzies as well, but had issues with a lot of my does. I love the breed, however. Very docile and cute to boot! Rabbit shows were actually a lot easier to follow then chickie shows haha. But I guess I'm just not in the chickie showing loop. I LOVE lion heads, but I don't think the ARBA has recognized them yet. When I get back into bunnies, maybe I'll look your friend up and get some stock from them.
smile.png

The Stockton show happens in January. Its a big show, and a great one to attend.

There is one in Fresno in February, and its also a good one. Not as large as the one in Stockton, but still nice.

The Stanislaus County Fair has an awesome set up! They have tons of poultry, including a big plexiglass bator every year. Last year it was full of duck, guinea, chicken and quail eggs hatching. Im in Stan county so I attend it annually. You should definitely check it out!

All I was able to find coming up is the Stanislaus Fair. The other local fairs don't even have poultry, what a rip! Hope to see many of you at the Stanislaus Fair!

Back
Top Bottom