Northern Indiana chicken keepers--- any sources locally for organic fish meal?

Hennyetta

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
The title basically says it all. I'm looking for organic fish meal in northern IN... preferably around the Goshen/Nappanee area. Anyone know where I can find it?

It could not come from wild caught or typical aquacultured stocks. For my interpretation it would need to come from fishes grown in a body of water where the entire drainage.

Why do you need such.

I want to mix my own feed, and would like to be able to add an animal protein, especially during the winter months when my birds won't be getting 'animal' protein from bugs, worms, etc.

At least as far back as my grandfather made use of rough fish collected from pools left behind fall flood waters of the Ohio River. They were not sufficient for all winter owing to storage limitations but they were extremely high in their nutritional quality when available. Same fish these days would not be called organic.. They also used offal left over from deer and cattle carcasses and the skinned and boiled carcasses of raccoons and other furbearers. Boiling made picking easier. Also do not forget bonemeal as if has protein value as well.

I'm not sure if the term organic has much to do with the fish that are used to make the meal or not. Non-organic fish meal has a preservative added that has some health concerns. It is not approved for organic use, so organic fish meal uses a difference kind of preservative called Naturox that is considered to be safer.

Back
Top Bottom